GPU and CPU usage while gaming

rbogomolec

Honorable
Nov 16, 2017
My laptop is an ASUS N550JX, i7 4720HQ, 8GB RAM, GTX950m 2GB

When I play games like rise of the tomb raider, I have to play on1280x720 resolution, medium settings and about 45fps if I want to keep my CPU temperature under 75'C. Is this normal for a rig like mine or is there something wrong? I don't really mind playing on these settings, it's just that I expected a i7 cpu to be more powerful (to do more work without getting too hot). At the same time, my gpu is just around 40'C and uses maybe just like 50% of it's max power. I thought that raising the quality settings of the games would put more stress on the gpu, but all I got was an even hotter cpu. So, is all of this normal or am I doing something wrong? Or is it just because it's a laptop and everything is crowded in there and harder to cool than in a pc?

Solution
Yes, it is a laptop and the limited cooler space is a problem.
The best you can do is to keep the cooling airways clear of dust and unobstructed.

Then, also, the older 4th gen processors and GTX980m are not as power efficient as the newer gen stuff.
Yes, it is a laptop and the limited cooler space is a problem.
The best you can do is to keep the cooling airways clear of dust and unobstructed.

Then, also, the older 4th gen processors and GTX980m are not as power efficient as the newer gen stuff.

Solution