GPU and CPU WEIRD problems. Looking for a newer CPU help is Needed!

Mar 27, 2018
I want to say sorry from advance because my PC hardware knowledge is not the best and so is my english

So about a year ago i bought a new GPU the gtx 970, before that i had like a gtx 560 or something like that if i remember correctly. my cpu was intel i7 3770 i had a 400W power supply. as i installed my new gpu everything worked correctly until i started playing the games i was playing before the new gpu. doesnt matter which graphics and settings i played on (i tried all of them) my pc kept crashing after 5 minutes of gameplay. long story short we ended up switching all of my hardware 1 by 1 to see where the problem is. we upgraded my power supply to 700W we tried switching from 2 stick of 4 ram each to 1 stick with 8 but then switch back to 2 stick of 4ram because it didnt help. we checked if stuff were overheatting but it seemd fine so we had no idea what is causing the crashes. until we switched to an old motherboard and cpu that we laying around. my pc stopped crashing after that.
the problem is now that im rocking a really old cpu - "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 2936 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)" and an asus motherboard that i dont even know its name. i can only tell you that it is brownish with blue box with the asus logo(only way that i knew its even asus). and with my new GPU - gtx 970. my power supply is 700W. i have 8GB Ram.

the thing is that on games i need to lower my graphics a lot so i dont get fps drops and lag, and my textures load extremly slow and on GTA V my game loads really really slow and textures of the game disappear when driving around the city.

so i have a few question:
1. im assuming this texture bugs and slow loading and everything is because i have a really old CPU and a really good GPU so they cant handle stuff?

2. if what i said in 1 is true then i should upgrade my CPU and probably motherboard because they are both old. but im very very scared to pay good amount of money on cpu and then have the same problem of crashes

I would love to hear some opinion about my problem and i thank you in advance for reading and trying to help!

Solution
sorry, i got mixed up with another post using zotac 970.

some gpu especially the ones with high factory overclock, pass factory test bed and have stability issues.
down clock is a method to proof this theory (my frd has a asus 970, and she has some issue too,so it's not vendor specific)

not sure what you mean by newest in stock. (later production date will ship with newer bios, if that's what you are asking)

8gb is minimum for gaming system, if you have more budget 16gb will be ideal.

cost wise: here are the most popular budget gaming choices

intel build:

$360 will get you i5 8400, z370 and 8gb of ram.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Ncjx8K

ryzen build:
$280 r5 1500x,b350 and 8gb ($300 for 1600 instead of 1500x)...
e7500 is a very old dual core, your cpu is definitely a big bottleneck.
i had a CPU in that similar time frame, and i was rocking a r9 380. i would say, upgrade to a ryzen 5 or i5 8th gen, you will see much higher fps.

here is simplified version of how cpu works with gpu, cpu prepare all the things need for gpu, and give it over to gpu, after x ms, then gpu returns with a completed frame.
now your if cpu is very slow, while cpu is getting all the stuff it needs, gpu is just idling in lala land. if you have msi afterburner, you will be your cpu utilization is close to 100% and gpu is like 10~40% .

Mar 27, 2018

First off all thank you for your answer and the information, second of all i think i will stick to the intel CPUs. isnt the i7 better for gaming? and i still have the problem that i mentioned above im scared to get new stuff for my pc so it doesnt go back to the crashing after 5 minutes of gameplay. is it possible that my gpu acts wierdly with some kind of cpu/motherboard?
or do you think my old cpu/motherboard were broken and didnt interact well with the new installment (after switching cpu and motherboard to the old old ones i had, everything worked fine other than the low fps and texture)
and if i get a new cpu should i get a new motherboard aswell? if so do you have any recommendations?

i recommend i5 r5, simply because they are very cost effective options. if you can provide me with some budget that you are willing to put towards upgrade.

also, from your description, i think maybe the issue is that your GPU is having issue running at max load, a slower CPU will not stress the GPU as much as I explained earlier, you can manually down clock your zotac 970 using msi afterburner.

for new CPU, you will need new mb, ram.

Mar 27, 2018

it is a GeForce gtx 970 not a zotac, not sure if it changes anything but still. and it is supposed to be a new GPU..."having issue running at max load" do all gpus have that problem or does it mean mine is "broken" if i down clock it will it have issues running high graphics on a game?
as for a new motherboard should i get the newest in stock or..?
as for the ram, 8gb aint enough? should i get 16? or more
and as for the budget im not sure yet because what you are saying here is that i should switch almost everything in my pc so i dont know :/
:/

sorry, i got mixed up with another post using zotac 970.

some gpu especially the ones with high factory overclock, pass factory test bed and have stability issues.
down clock is a method to proof this theory (my frd has a asus 970, and she has some issue too,so it's not vendor specific)

not sure what you mean by newest in stock. (later production date will ship with newer bios, if that's what you are asking)

8gb is minimum for gaming system, if you have more budget 16gb will be ideal.

cost wise: here are the most popular budget gaming choices

intel build:

$360 will get you i5 8400, z370 and 8gb of ram.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Ncjx8K

ryzen build:
$280 r5 1500x,b350 and 8gb ($300 for 1600 instead of 1500x)
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7rQc7h

add $60 to $70 to upgrade to 16gb ram.

Solution
Mar 27, 2018

well by msi afterburner my gpu isnt clocked at all.. should i down clock it then (when ill get a new cpu)?
and maybe should i overclock it right now.. will it some how help the cpu or idk..?
as for the ram situation, i currently have 2 sticks of 4 ram so if i want to upgrade it ill have to buy 2 new sticks of 8 or 1 of 16... so im not sure if i will upgrade my ram because of the cost.
and thank you very much for the help and recommendations! :D

i would love to get some other opinions of a CPU and MB to get tho before i decide. and maybe other opinions of the problem that i had just in case...

you can't use ddr2 or ddr3 ram on these new motherboards, that's why i only opt for 8gb. you need ddr4 288pin non ecc ram.

Mar 27, 2018
oh i get what you mean, if i upgrade my motherboard i must get a new ram as well. the cost of this just keep going up that is annoying :/
anyways thank you for your help! ill look into what you said that decide on what i should do ;p