GPU and PSU upgrade advice (from Radeon HD 6670)

Jupiter191

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
I want to upgrade from my Radeon HD 6670 so I can keep up with Far Cry 4 and Battlefield and the like. Currently I've got:

3.30GHz i5-3550
Radeon HD 6670
Asus P8H61-M LX R2
16GB DDR3
Octigen ATX 400W PSU

This computer isn't overclocked

After looking around on the forums it seems like the GTX 760 or 770 would be good, or a 660Ti since its the same as a 760. I haven't looked at power supplies. I'm not tight on my budget, but I don't want to go too far with it. €500 is basically the limit. My main issue is getting a better power supply to accommodate a newer card. I want to get something decent that will last and wont burn my house down. Here's a link to the specs of my existing PSU. The size is listed there. I can't really get anything bigger than that.

I'd love to hear suggestions and opinions on cards and power supplies. I live in Ireland so bear that in mind I suppose with shipping. I should also say that the 770 would fit inside the case I have so that's not an issue at least. I'm not loyal to a particular brand so if there's an AMD card that would suit, that's fine. Feel free to correct any errors I may have made here.

Solution
don't know about local pricing but pcpartpicker set to uk shows the gtx 970 around 275-300 pounds and a psu less than 100 pounds. that should stay under 500 euros if pricing stays consistent in ireland. i don't what your shopping options are there so can't be more specific.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
don't know about local pricing but pcpartpicker set to uk shows the gtx 970 around 275-300 pounds and a psu less than 100 pounds. that should stay under 500 euros if pricing stays consistent in ireland. i don't what your shopping options are there so can't be more specific.

Solution

Jupiter191

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

Is the GTX 970 overkill for what I have? I don't know if the i5-3550 is good enough for it without it being overclocked. But you probably know better than me.