Question GPU Artifacting

Sep 20, 2023
My PC (built in 2021) is starting to show graphical glitches or what I believe to be minor "gpu artificating" for a second or two during day to day use, while switching between tabs on Google Chrome or browsing through Discord with hardware acceleration on both. I've also noticed, poorer performance in game compared to when it was new. My GPU's warranty expires in a couple months. I was wondering if it'd be a good idea to send it in for repairs in hopes of increasing its lifespan. Just would like to make sure before I do anything as I'm not really familiar with PC's in general, so I wanted to ask around and see what you guys think.

Specs:

• 3060 ti
  • 5600x
  • Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4
  • PSU: MSI MPG A650GF 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Apr 19, 2024
What model of the GPU you own?
Producer / model ?
What drivers you have installed right now?
Did you updated lately the video drivers?
Did windows updated itself the video drivers ?

My PC (built in 2021) is starting to show graphical glitches or what I believe to be minor "gpu artificating" for a second or two during day to day use, while switching between tabs on Google Chrome or browsing through Discord with hardware acceleration on both. I've also noticed, poorer performance in game compared to when it was new. My GPU's warranty expires in a couple months. I was wondering if it'd be a good idea to send it in for repairs in hopes of increasing its lifespan. Just would like to make sure before I do anything as I'm not really familiar with PC's in general, so I wanted to ask around and see what you guys think.

Specs:

• 3060 ti
  • 5600x
  • Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4
  • PSU: MSI MPG A650GF 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Artifacts could be sign of a failing GPU, most likely a faulty VRAM corruption issue. How old is your 3060 Ti ? But first, can you post some screenshots/pics of these artifacts ?

Have you done any kind of overclocking/OC on the GPU ? Do artifacts also occur while gaming, or only when you are browsing the web, or using discord ?

What are the GPU's temperature values, both in idle desktop mode, as well during stress/load ? Before sending back the GPU for an RMA, try testing the card on some other PC as well, using a different PSU model, if possible.

BTW, you can also try doing a CLEAN re-install of the GPU drivers using this DDU tool if need be, as a last resort. Ignore, if already done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobby Boucher
Sep 20, 2023
What model of the GPU you own?
Producer / model ?
What drivers you have installed right now?
Did you updated lately the video drivers?
Did windows updated itself the video drivers ?
Thanks for reaching out.

The GPU is fully titled "ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti OC Edition 8GB GDDR6" on the manufacturer's website.

Over the weekend, I tried using DDU to remove and then reinstall the latest available drivers (555.85) while disconnected from the internet, same symptoms.

To my knowledge windows did not update the drivers itself, I did it manually after downloading them from NVIDIA.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023
Artifacts could be sign of a failing GPU, most likely a faulty VRAM corruption issue. How old is your 3060 Ti ? But first, can you post some screenshots/pics of these artifacts ?

Have you done any kind of overclocking/OC on the GPU ? Do artifacts also occur while gaming, or only when you are browsing the web, or using discord ?

What are the GPU's temperature values, both in idle desktop mode, as well during stress/load ? Before sending back the GPU for an RMA, try testing the card on some other PC as well, using a different PSU model, if possible.

BTW, you can also try doing a CLEAN re-install of the GPU drivers using this DDU tool if need be, as a last resort. Ignore, if already done.

My 3060ti is about 3 years old now. And the artifacting is a bit tough to capture as it happens randomly, for a second or two in random sections of the monitor.

This was my first build and I was too spooked to OC anything, so I kept everything except the ram sticks (which I OC'd to advertised speeds) at stock values.

There's no artifacting while gaming, just framerates don't hold as well as they used to. It's only present while using Chrome or Discord.

The GPU temps idle at around 40 C and go up to around 70 C when at 99% usage for games.

I unfortunately don't have another PC available to test the GPU on.

And I've tried using DDU over the weekend to remove and reinstall the NVIDIA drivers manually (disconnected from the internet until everything was restarted and completed of course) still the same issues.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024
Well, hold on. You have those artifacts ONLY in web browsers ?
And...during web browsing in what conditions appears?
Cause i suspect that is a software related problem rather a hardware one.
If you played games and you did not encounter any glitches or artifacts then we can suspect that is related to some error (a software one) during web browsing.

Sep 20, 2023
Well, hold on. You have those artifacts ONLY in web browsers ?
And...during web browsing in what conditions appears?
Cause i suspect that is a software related problem rather a hardware one.
If you played games and you did not encounter any glitches or artifacts then we can suspect that is related to some error (a software one) during web browsing.
Yes, it only happens using Chrome or Discord, a collection of about a dozen or so centimeter sized squares pop up and blotch up a random section of the monitor. I can perhaps try using a different browser and seeing if issues persist?

It looks something like this, but not as significant since it will only covers a couple inches of the monitor for no longer than 1-2 seconds.

(This not my picture, just something I grabbed off the internet as an example.)
bff6879a4c7b4dafd32cb04fda91f2fe0ba532f9.jpeg

Apr 19, 2024
Well, it could be interesting if you can use another browser to test exact pages as ones that gives you the error.
I would suggest to install Firefox and Opera.
Test them both in exact same conditions as Chrome.