GPU Artifacts or Problem with games?

harshp344

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Hi guys, I wanted to ask that if I have shadow flickering/problems in some games, could the y be game related or GPU artifacts. They only happen when I look at a specific spot and the only only happen in that particular spot to the same things. If I look away, nothing else flickers. Nothing beside the particular object flickers either, its just that specific area. I have found this in BioShock Infinite, metro Last Light and Goat Simulator. I want to know if this is a problem with the games or if they are possible GPU artifacts.

I ran stress tests (OCCT, Furmark, and some others) but I didn't see any artifacts. On other games I also noticed some unusual things. When playing FAR CRY 3, I got a checkered rectangle on the screen that wouldn't disappear even if I enter the menu screen, I would have to restart the game or adjust the graphics setting and click apply to fix it. This happened on multiple occations , at random, on different graphics settings. Also, on battlefield 3, I was playing a match and all of a sudden the whole screen was filled with shadows that kept moving and flickering. It stopped after I restarted the game and didn't come back since.

I was wondering if these were GPU artifacts or problems with something else like drivers or the games themselves.I also monitored the temps and everything for th GPU and CPU, they were all fine.

Thanks in advance :)

And thanks for reading my long question :)

Solution
Possible it is a driver issue. Have you tried different drivers? IF a driver change does not help then you can also try to validate local cache for the steam games. Right click the game name in library and click properties, local files then verify integrity of game cache.

EDIT: Try removing the factory OC and see if it helps. IF it does help the card will need to be replaced. IF not then no harm done and the card checks out fine.
When you ran OCCT did you run the GPU test with Error Checking enabled. If you did and it no errors were present then it is a game related artifact. I have see this happen before in some games on a 100% stable GPU and system (flickering shadows). Like i said as long as you ran OCCT with Error Checking enabled and it was not erroring then your fine.

What GPU do you have and Did you overclock it at all?

harshp344

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Yeah, I had error checking on and I ran it for at least 1.5 hours without an error. But is it possible for me to be getting all these problems in a lot of my games? All the problems are somewhat different and none have been similar, but they are all shadow related, except Far Cry 3. I should also point out that the specific problems are only in their specific games. Like I would see a shadow problem in BioShock infinite multiple times, but I would not see the EXACT same problem in another game.

I have a MSI R7 260X that I just recently got on Christmas, its factory overclocked.

Possible it is a driver issue. Have you tried different drivers? IF a driver change does not help then you can also try to validate local cache for the steam games. Right click the game name in library and click properties, local files then verify integrity of game cache.

EDIT: Try removing the factory OC and see if it helps. IF it does help the card will need to be replaced. IF not then no harm done and the card checks out fine.

Solution

harshp344

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
I already ran memtest86 just a while back and I didn't get any errors, I have changed the drivers since and I haven't seen the problems with the games, other than goat simulator. But I didn't have goat simulator before I changed my drivers so I can't confirm that. The other games seem to be fine but I haven't played them for long after I changed my driver. Maybe 1 hour each, I haven't played metro last light at all. I have a 630W Rose will power supply if that helps.

CPU: fx - 8320
Mobo: as rock 960gm u3s3
Ram: team elite 8gb 1600mhz
Power supply: 630W Rosewill 80+ Bronze
GPU: MSI r7 260x OC edition
HDD: 1 tb Toshiba 7200 RPM