[SOLVED] GPU ASUS 3050 RTX compatible with COOLER MASTER V850 80 PLUS Gold PSU? (pins?)

Jun 26, 2022
Planning on upgrading from a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 to an ASUS Phoenix 3050 RTX.
My previous 1050 requires no pins connected to the PSU, but my new 3050 has an 8 pin power slot. I've searched around and pcpartpicker.com says it is indeed compatible with my Cooler Master V850 PSU through a " PCI-E_1 (6+2-Pin) ", though my PSU only has four 6 pin pci-e's?
It does have two 8 pin slots but they're signed for "CPU" so I'm under the assumption I can't connect a 6+2 pin into that for my GPU? Nor could I split the 6+2 pin between two 6 pin slots? (silly questions but am genuinely curious)
This is all new to me and I am rather confused, as my thinking was that an
RS850-AFBAG1-UK_3.jpg
850 watt modular PSU should surely support an 8 pin (roughly 150 watt) GPU.
And if it is indeed compatible, I'm not sure what cable setup I should even use to connect the two? (or if my PSU should already come supplied with the correct cable?) Any help would be more than appreciated!

(attached photo of the back of PSU for reference) >>>>>
(standard 8 pin for GPU)

Solution
And I'm all good to connect from a 6 pin PCI-E to 6+2 GPU slot? No GPU performance lost or issues with doing that?
As my ASUS 3050 RTX has a wattage of 130 but a 6 pin slot on my PSU only delivers 75 watts. (this is why I'm concerned about performance)

No, GPU performance lost. The slot gives 75w, and the 6pin the same. Total 150w.
Jun 26, 2022
Sorry, I really appreciate your quick response but I'm still confused lol
Put simply, which slot do I put the 6+2 / 8 pin in the PSU?
Yes, a 6+2 would fit into the GPU but how do I then connect that to a PSU that doesn't have an 8 pin PCI-E?
Everything I've read says I can't plug a 6 pin pci-e to a 6+2 pin on a GPU (not enough power), which seems to be my PSUs only PCI-E's (four 6 pin slots).

Last edited:
One thing however. In the price range of the 3050, amd has their rx 6600 which is a faster card. So you might have a look at that. Otherwise plug in the 6+2 connector as the other poster stated and you should be good.

As far as which slot on the psu, look at the diagram on the front of it. You can see it in your photo below the ports, it should show a port labeled pci e or graphics etc. zooming in on that it looks like it’s labeled 6p pcie. Looks to be the ports on the top left corner. But most psus have a 6 pin and there are usually 2 extra pins hanging right beside the other 6. There may be an adapter where you need to plug into 2 of the 6 pin plugs, not sure on that though for that unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022
Again, sorry for my misunderstanding.
To my knowledge, it would be one of these 6 (though 5 and 6 are stated to be for CPU)
Which one of these 6? (I'm probably coming off as an idiot but I'm so confused lol)
(image attached below)
2tBUx9D.png

Good photo there. So you want the one labeled pci 6+2.

I mentioned an rx 6600 earlier, here’s a comparison

Is this your power supply? Picture 7 of the Newegg listing shows the cables.

Check this out on @Newegg: Cooler Master V850 - Fully Modular 850W 80 PLUS Gold PSU with Silencio Silent 135mm fan
https://www.newegg.com/cooler-maste...c=snc-social-_-sr-_-9SIAGGGHNW5709-_-06262022

If I’m seeing it right you should have 4 cables that have a 6 pin on one end and 2 6+2 connectors. On each one.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jun 26, 2022
And I'm all good to connect from a 6 pin PCI-E to 6+2 GPU slot? No GPU performance lost or issues with doing that?
As my ASUS 3050 RTX has a wattage of 130 but a 6 pin slot on my PSU only delivers 75 watts. (this is why I'm concerned about performance)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022
Yes ohio_buckeye, that is my power supply! Though I don't have the specific cable necessary within my pc currently, will have to find the box where it may be.

Good photo there. So you want the one labeled pci 6+2.

I mentioned an rx 6600 earlier, here’s a comparison

Is this your power supply? Picture 7 of the Newegg listing shows the cables.

Check this out on @Newegg: Cooler Master V850 - Fully Modular 850W 80 PLUS Gold PSU with Silencio Silent 135mm fan
https://www.newegg.com/cooler-maste...c=snc-social-_-sr-_-9SIAGGGHNW5709-_-06262022

If I’m seeing it right you should have 4 cables that have a 6 pin on one end and 2 6+2 connectors. On each one.
Precisely!