GPU at 100 C when gaming!

Gambeast

Commendable
Mar 6, 2016
I bought a used R7 250 1GB DDR5 yesterday. I played with it all day, all games like NFS Rivals, BF BC 2 etc Ran at ultra at 900p flawlessly. But when i downloaded MSI After burner and checked the temperatures of my GPU, it was between 90-100 C. Is this harmful?

And also, when i first restarted my PC after installed Afterburner, it automatically capped the max temp of my gpu to 65 C and all games started lagging, but as soon as i uninstalled it, restarted PC, it went back to working smoothly.

Can i use it at >90 C? Or am i killing it?

Specs:
i3 3210 3.2Ghz
6GB DDR3
Sapphire R7 250 1GD5
450W PSU

Thanks.

Solution
No that's too high and will shorten its life, a 250 should run quite cool, its not a high power gout. Its an old card, most likely it needs taking apart and new thermal paste being applied.

Hardware Brad

Notable
Jul 24, 2017
That card isn't made to handle todays games. The games you're playing are most likely stressing it at 100%. Running it over 90c will degrade the lifespan of the card, but not necessarily kill it immediately. Make sure the heatsink and fans are dusted out, and you may need to reapply thermal paste due to the age of that card.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

You can set up a fan curve in afterburners settings, so you can have it slowly climb until its at 100% fan for 85'c.