[SOLVED] GPU at 85C even on 20% Usage

Jul 10, 2021
Hello, I've recently been struggling with huge fps drops so I enabled MSIAfterburner to check on my CPU and GPU's temps and usage

Specs (Its a normal laptop so not the highest specs, but most definitely higher than my game's minimum requirements):
CPU: I7-7500U
GPU: AMD Radeon r7 m340
RAM: 8GB

I set the game at low settings, 720p and capped it at 30fps to make it as easy to run as possible, getting around 40-50% CPU usage and 20% GPU, so easy, right ?

The issue is in the temps however

1 or 2 mins after I start, the temps gradually go up to settle in the 80s mark, hitting 90 sometimes and going back, which is crazy high for this low usage percentage

Tried some video editing the same day, CPU at 50-60% but no overheating at all, 70 degrees, sometimes even less

So I think the GPU is the one crazily overheating.

I looked on the web for weeks for ways to fix it, and unfortunately nothing worked

Clean the laptop ? Clean the fans ? Apply thermal paste ? Buy a cooling pad ?

I recently sent my laptop for a global checkup, installed an SSD too. The guy cleaned my laptop, installed brand new fans, applied thermal paste, etc.
I got a cooling pad and I updated my drivers, rolledback my drivers too to see if its a driver issue, nothing.

Tried to set the Processor percentage state in the power options to 80% max instead of 100%, nothing helps.

I'm really out of options.

PS: If that can help in any way, the game I run is Valorant.

Last edited:
Solution
the temps gradually go up to settle in the 80s mark, hitting 90 sometimes
what are you using to view temperatures?
any system statistics software should also show the device when showing temperatures.

if it is the GPU;
if you still have Afterburner running it is more than likely the culprit.
it has major problems with fans on 3rd party graphics cards.
many times will only be able to control a single fan and others cannot control any of them.
usually they will be set to 0%, sometimes will be set to 100% but will register at 0%.

if Afterburner is set to run automatically, when Windows loads it will interfere with default and manually set fan curves.
GPU: AMD Radeon
AMD Radeon is not a GPU, only a manufacturer's product...
the temps gradually go up to settle in the 80s mark, hitting 90 sometimes
any system statistics software should also show the device when showing temperatures.

if it is the GPU;
many times will only be able to control a single fan and others cannot control any of them.
usually they will be set to 0%, sometimes will be set to 100% but will register at 0%.

if Afterburner is set to run automatically, when Windows loads it will interfere with default and manually set fan curves.
GPU: AMD Radeon
AMD Radeon is not a GPU, only a manufacturer's product insignia.
you need to add the actual make\model of the card.

Solution
Even though the laptop was recently ? cleaned it sounds to me like dust is blocking the cooling fins somewhere in the system or the thermal paste wasn't applied correctly. I would pull the cover off and inspect for a blockage...if no blockage I would replace the thermal paste again but use a different service center if youre not doing it yourself. I wouldn't mess with processor states...it can open a can of worms leading to strange behaviors. It's better to simply choose the balanced power plan and have the laptop plugged in while gaming.

Jul 10, 2021

if it is the GPU;

AMD Radeon is not a GPU, only a manufacturer's product insignia.
you need to add the actual make\model of the card.
Hello, yes my bad i think i forgot to add thrw name, it's an AMD Radeon R7 M340

Yes i use afterburner, i actually don't let it run on startup, i launch it every time i play to track temps, but it doesn't let me change my fan speed at all btw

Jul 10, 2021
Even though the laptop was recently ? cleaned it sounds to me like dust is blocking the cooling fins somewhere in the system or the thermal paste wasn't applied correctly. I would pull the cover off and inspect for a blockage...if no blockage I would replace the thermal paste again but use a different service center if youre not doing it yourself. I wouldn't mess with processor states...it can open a can of worms leading to strange behaviors. It's better to simply choose the balanced power plan and have the laptop plugged in while gaming.
Yes I sent it recently for cleaning, which is why I'm so pissed off that I'm having temp issues again

it's honestly really weird

Jul 10, 2021
Unfortunately it sounds like the cleaning and/or thermal paste replacement wasn't done correctly. It sounds like you've done the usual steps like using a cooling pad to try and minimize temps on a laptop.
Do you think getting a can of compressed air and blow it in the laptops intake can help in any way? because i cant open the laptop up myself because it's extremely fragile unfortunately

Yes i use afterburner, i actually don't let it run on startup, i launch it every time i play to track temps, but it doesn't let me change my fan speed at all btw
so there's a good chance that every time you run the software that one or more of the fans stops running.
this would be the cause of the high temperature when gaming.

you would have to use the GPU manufacturer's software to control the fans or let them run in default mode without Afterburner running.
1 or 2 mins after I start, the temps gradually go up to settle in the 80s mark, hitting 90 sometimes and going back, which is crazy high for this low usage percentage...
So I think the GPU is the one crazily overheating.
whatever OSD you are using to view temperatures you can set it to also show the device.
there should be no guessing which is hitting what temperature.

Do you think getting a can of compressed air and blow it in the laptops intake can help in any way?
even if it clears a vent it will still be forcing this dense dust buildup deeper into the housing so this is not a good idea.

Intakes very rarely get clogged on laptops.
It is usually the outlets that clog. The fins on the heatpipes clog with hair and dust.
If you can see your fans from the bottom of the laptop blow air into the exhaust fins.
This will push the clog back into the fan so you can dig it out. I use plastic tooth picks with the small barbs on the sides.
Do not try this if you do not have easy access to the fan. The clog could stop the fan from running.
Your only other option is to open it, or pay someone else to open it. Not the same place as before.

Jul 10, 2021
so there's a good chance that every time you run the software that one or more of the fans stops running.
this would be the cause of the high temperature when gaming.

you would have to use the GPU manufacturer's software to control the fans or let them run in default mode without Afterburner running.
whatever OSD you are using to view temperatures you can set it to also show the device.
there should be no guessing which is hitting what temperature.

even if it clears a vent it will still be forcing this dense dust buildup deeper into the housing so this is not a good idea.
I know exactly what component's temp is, theyre just vaguely the same temp, both in the 80s.

Jul 10, 2021
Intakes very rarely get clogged on laptops.
It is usually the outlets that clog. The fins on the heatpipes clog with hair and dust.
If you can see your fans from the bottom of the laptop blow air into the exhaust fins.
This will push the clog back into the fan so you can dig it out. I use plastic tooth picks with the small barbs on the sides.
Do not try this if you do not have easy access to the fan. The clog could stop the fan from running.
Your only other option is to open it, or pay someone else to open it. Not the same place as before.
Unfortunately this is the second guy i send my laptop to. the first one was a dumbass who made me buy a laptop battery TWICE when the issue wasnt in the battery but in the laptop itself and every battery i bought the laptop would burn it, im really unlucky with laptop repair guys and in this country its rare to find someone to get the job done honestly

Jul 6, 2021
Maybe you are forcing constant voltage on Afterburner? Go into Afterburner settings and in the first tab you'll see "Unlock Voltage Control" "Unlock Voltage Monitoring" "Force Constant Voltage"

All of these should be UNCHEKED.