Question gpu at constant 80 degrees celsius !!

Jun 13, 2019
I just bought a gainward gtx 1060 6gb, when i play games it stays at 80-81 degrees celsius, a few times go to 82 but not more than that, I play on ultra or high heavy graphic games like battlefield, arma 3, etc. the games run very smooth and without crazy fps drops or stuttering, but for me this temperature is way too high.

Playing on this temp all the time can affect my gpu lifespan?
it will cause any damage ?

In heavy GPU usage games, you can expect the GPU to hit 70-80. That's not uncommon. I wouldn't worry too much. Those GPU's can run at higher temps up to 94c and still work fine, with no throttling. So 80-82 is fine.

It could be that you don't have much airflow through the case, which could raise internal case temps (and by consequence your CPU/GPU temps). Maybe consider getting some additional case fans to get better airflow.

You can also trick around with the fan curve in MSI afterburner, and set it to run at higher RPM at lower temps to keep the GPU cooler.

Try taking the side of your case and see if the temps drop while gaming. If they do, the additional case fans might be the right solution.

Reactions: Agent066
Jun 13, 2019
@keith12
Thanks man glad to read that, thats a relief for me, i will try these things you said !!
Just one more thing, do you think this gpu at this temp can last more than 10+ years ? (I'm a cautious person and paranoid with dust lol)

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Hey, sorry for late reply. Hmmm. most GPU's have a 3 year warranty. If you looked after the card, it 'may' last that long, but highly unlikley it will with regular use. With that said I've a drawer full of old GPU's, and some are older than 10 years and they work still! But thats because they are not in use all the time and i keep them well.

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
You could try replacing thermal paste after warranty is done (it will void warranty with gainward with quick google) with quality stuff, or have a friend who knows hes stuff to replace it before that. This actually can improve temps up to 10-15c even. And max your fan to 100% under load like keith12 say

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
I never had anything else than 600 700 and 900 series and my temperatures barely reaches 70c with unlocked voltage to 1.212 or even further. Kinda odd that hes getting 80c+ though is this normal with 100 series that they run hotter?

Jun 13, 2019
@fagetti Broo no way your max temp is 70, tell me your secret please !!
i watched a youtube video from a guy with a gtx 1080 running battlefield 5 on 4k res and max temp is 72 degrees celsius and its not even watercooled, the guy gotta be playing on space or inside a refrigerator

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
Does your gainward have how many fans ? I always used either always 3 fan models like windforce or then looking benchmarks to see best performing 2 fan model for temperature. This method works pretty good. However i have no experience with 100 series and as remix said your probably fine with low 80s.

Theres no point going for aftermarket cooler on 1060 in my opinion, if your worried about it just get the paste changed to quality stuff in some computer repair shop, shouldnt cost much its a fast job. Ask them to use gc gelid extreme or noctua nt-h1 for example, you can buy the tube yourself too, dont want to risk them using some cheap stuff and then getting not much temperature drop.

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
its important you say to them to use quality paste even if it costs extra ( anything but liquid metal if they propose that say no ) otherwise they just "replace thermal" paste with cheapest stuff available. Also there is guides on youtube about "desktop case airflow" just google it.

Jun 13, 2019
@fagetti
I will go to a repair shop that i went many times and they make a good work, because i went there a lot they allow me to go to the floor where they make the repairs to see whats going on, i became a friend with almost everyone there lol. They have these thermal pastes you mentioned, i probably gonna buy my fans there too. I watched some videos about airflow and i think the best airflow setup for me its 3 intakes and 3 exhausts

Jun 20, 2019
i think 80-85º is usually fine, most of these cards can run up to 90-95º without thermal throttling so don't worry, however if your GPU or CPU reaches dangerous temperatures your PC will probably shut off automatically.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
@keith12
Thanks man glad to read that, thats a relief for me, i will try these things you said !!
Just one more thing, do you think this gpu at this temp can last more than 10+ years ? (I'm a cautious person and paranoid with dust lol)
No. And Yes. Physically it's entirely possible for gpus to last 10+ years, I own a 3dfx (before nvidia bought the company) Voodoo2 16Mb gpu that still works. Figure 1998 it was bought. However, just like even most of the nvidia cards older than the highest end 700 series, software has rendered them obsolete for gaming.

10 years? Your midgrade gtx1060 would have been a gtx260.

5 years is pushing your luck with a mid grade card. My gtx660ti was a very good midgrade card, the 7 series had just dropped back then, and now all it's good for is minecraft, roblox or the Sims3.

Your gpu should be long overdue obsolete long before 80°C temps kill it.

Jun 13, 2019
@Karadjgne
Oh thats nice to read, thanks for the answer !! I asked how many years could last because i am broke as hell lol
I still have my gtx660ti too, its a evga model with the blower fan, i love the blower fan design its beautiful !!

Last edited: