Question Gpu being really weird and not showing up.

Jul 1, 2023
Ive recently bought parts to build a computer. i got a ASRock b550 phantom gaming wifi a4c with ryzen 5 5700x, 16gbs ddr4 3600mhz, 1tb ssd gen 3.0, apevia 650w gold, radeon sapphire 6700xt. the gpu is the only problem ive had. Ive turned on the computer and it runs in the bios, but nothing about the gpu. no info or anything. It runs though, because the display is all plugged into the card and the fans all come on. Then when I was installing windows, it would work. I could use the ocmputer, but then after about 2 1/2 minutes of windows being on the home screen the gpu would just shut off and not turn back on untill I fully shut off the powersupply then turned it back on again. might be useful to know that I have the pcie 6+2 pin in the graphics card and they are both separate connections from the powersupply to the graphics card (ponytailed i think?)

anyhelp would be apreciated been having problem all day today and last night.

apevia 650w gold,

It's your current PSU from APEVIA. Avoid using this brand on gaming PCs. They are known to release a lot of junk quality power supplies. There might be one model which can considered as ok-ish, but overall, Apevia is horrible PSU brand.

Stop using this PSU to power up the GPU. Please get a decent high quality PSU. I wouldn't touch Apevia with a 10 foot pole.

Get something else if you have the money. You can also consult a tier list like this before you buy a PSU, because the last thing you need is an underperforming PSU that won't output power and light itself on fire. I usually don't give that much importance to PSU Tiers though, since they are not 100% accurate and up-to-date.

Nonetheless, never SKIMP on the PSU. This is the most important PC component. I can't stress this enough.

PSU brand aside, the main concern is the "quality" of the power, the quality of the components used/CAPS, as well as the total AMP drawn on the +12V RAIL (output), the efficiency under load, "ripple suppression", among other factors, unlike the actual PSU brand.

OEM also matters a lot ! Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system.

Last edited: