GPU can't overclock at all?

Sharks445

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
I have a Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 and it cannot overclock without crashing. The stock is 1010mhz core and 1500mhz memory. When I overclock to 1100 and 1550 after a while the computer will give a black screen and I'll have to restart. I know for a fact that it's not supposed to do this, I've heard people who went as much as 1300/1650 with this model. I even increased voltage by 100mv and power limit by 100%, and still crashes.
It's not my PSUs problem as it is 750W. I tried around with different settings but overclocking almost always results in a black screen at some point. GTA V sometimes even crashes unless I underclock to 1000Mhz!!
Temps are not a problem because idle is around 40 and load is around 65-70 WITH overclock
Should I RMA? Is this covered under warranty?

Solution
If the card works at stock, you have no legitimate reason for an RMA.
If the card works at stock, there's nothing wrong with it so there is no legitimate reason for a warranty claim.
Overclocking is never a guarantee. Some chips simply can't handle it.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
If the card works at stock, you have no legitimate reason for an RMA.
If the card works at stock, there's nothing wrong with it so there is no legitimate reason for a warranty claim.
Overclocking is never a guarantee. Some chips simply can't handle it.

-Wolf sends

Solution

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014
Like wolf said, we're all given a piece of the silicone lottery some of us just draw the short stick. Their's no rule that says every gpu should overclock to x amount. It's more of if you get it good but its rated for these settings. If every manufacturer gave a guarantee like that they'd be out of business quick. Besides overclocking not exactly as cracked up as it's thought to be. The long run you're pushing hardware past their respective specs. Especially with just air cooling. If you want to do real ocing, go liquid. Just now it's not a guarantee nor is it covered by anything. Nor should it.