GPU Choice ?

davidpersi

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
I am having problems choosing a replacement gpu for my pc. First of all, i have a 1440×900 resolution monitor.
I would like to be able to play almost all the games at medium-high settings for the next 2 years or so. Then i will be upgrading my whole rig.
I have no problem dropping to low either.
Will the rx 460 4 gb version do me fine? Or should i get the 470? Thanks. Any help is appreciated

Solution
Medium-high settings means 4gb vram needed on newer games, so that means the 460 4gb is the least you should get of the new cards. Usually I wouldn't suggest it, but at 900p it's not a bad option.

The reason I'd hesitate to get a 470 in this situation is you say you're building a new computer in a couple of years. That means you'll be buying a new videocard as well? If so, why spend more than you need to now? Plus consider that when you build that new computer you may upgrade the monitor, I mean you don't want to be running 900p in 2019 right? You might have something like a 1440p then, a 470 isn't enough for that.
Medium-high settings means 4gb vram needed on newer games, so that means the 460 4gb is the least you should get of the new cards. Usually I wouldn't suggest it, but at 900p it's not a bad option.

The reason I'd hesitate to get a 470 in this situation is you say you're building a new computer in a couple of years. That means you'll be buying a new videocard as well? If so, why spend more than you need to now? Plus consider that when you build that new computer you may upgrade the monitor, I mean you don't want to be running 900p in 2019 right? You might have something like a 1440p then, a 470 isn't enough for that.

Solution