[SOLVED] GPU clock drops in game sometimes

moepkid

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
Hey all,

Sorry for bothering again. Somehow I cannot find my previous post from last month, and I do worry a bit about breaking my month old pc :(
I have now played with my new PC for about a month and the last reported temps are about the same (3080 10700k)

GPU: 72.3
Memory: 82
Hot spot: 85
Both fans (but I have three, only two listed?): 60 and 61%
CPU: 72
I noticed the frequency got to 1965 MHz and memory to 1187.
This is all through GPU z.

This is all after a session of bf5 and dying light for about 4 hours. Also some bf4 beforehand. A friend of me said to cap my fps to my screen so I set it to 165. Before that I set it to 30 because most of the time on my switch and PS4 pro, it was enough for me.

Now I have a few questions:

1. Are these temps still in the safe margins? I only see mining temps floating around the internet.
  2. Is a difference of about 13 degrees for hot spot and gpu temp normal?
  3. I saw in the logging of GPU-z that sometimes the GPU clock drops about 40mhz. Is the fluctuating worrisome? It goes to 1965 and then drops to 1920 and back again. Its mostly in a split second, but is this the thing called thermal throttling and am I breaking my GPU by playing this intensive?
Sorry if I'm being dumb. I mostly played on my consoles and pc gaming has been a while and mostly on just laptops. To give you an idea: I really feel like a builder now that I put some more ram into it (16 to 32) and added a really small ssd. The one that looks like a chip! Also it doesnt help my friend said pc's from manufacturers like dell and lenovo break faster the custom pc's

Solution
1)Yes.
2)Yes. There is some variance between models, but I have seen much worse - like 30C!
3)Yes, the fluctuation is normal. Gpu Boost is responsible for that. It dynamically adjusts boost based on the gpu's parameters, which are mainly:
-temperature
-power
The cooler it runs, and the less frequently it runs into power limits, the higher and the longer the boosts are.
Of course, it doesn't boost to infinity; if you're monitoring it, you should notice that there's a number that the card likes to boost to and sit at on it's own(if possible).
In the case of my 1080Ti, that's 1949mhz.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Yes.
2)Yes. There is some variance between models, but I have seen much worse - like 30C!
3)Yes, the fluctuation is normal. Gpu Boost is responsible for that. It dynamically adjusts boost based on the gpu's parameters, which are mainly:
-temperature
-power
The cooler it runs, and the less frequently it runs into power limits, the higher and the longer the boosts are.
Of course, it doesn't boost to infinity; if you're monitoring it, you should notice that there's a number that the card likes to boost to and sit at on it's own(if possible).

Solution

moepkid

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
1)Yes.
-temperature
-power

Thanks for the info! It's about 23 degrees now in my room, so that means I can also play in the summer when it's 26 right? Or am I at the upper limits of the margins.

I do see some stutter in bf5 sometimes. I don't get that in every other game I played and it randomly happens. Is that 40mhz drop the cause of that or is battlefield 5 a bit unoptimized. I play on ultra settings with the nice shadows. Is, for example, 1800mhz enough to play it?. I get around 80-165 frames now.

Thanks again! I am a bit paranoid that I'm breaking my PC unintentionally. Together with the comments from my friend saying prebuild is bad, I'm being really carefull.

Edit: so It seems battlefield has this problem for more people. I guess it's not related to the drops of mhz then but due to a setting called dx12 and something called cache.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the info! It's about 23 degrees now in my room, so that means I can also play in the summer when it's 26 right? Or am I at the upper limits of the margins.
There's a lot more to it than that to the point that I can't even give a yes/no answer.

Is that 40mhz drop the cause of that
Definitely not the gpu on that one.

Is, for example, 1800mhz enough to play it?
Don't focus too much on that. That the gpu boosts at all is a good thing.

moepkid

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
[
There's a lot more to it than that to the point that I can't even give a yes/no answer.

Definitely not the gpu on that one.

Don't focus too much on that. That the gpu boosts at all is a good thing.

Thanks! I am relieved and will try and quit the monitoring part. I was a bit worried that I don't have any room with my temps, but more searching shows me that some people run cards much hotter than the 72 I have!

Thanks again :D

TRENDING THREADS