Question gpu clock not increasing even when oc'ed

boiboy263

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
i recently have a MSI rx570 Armor 4gb OC, in it bios, it said core clock is 1268Mhz, but when i try to benchmark or furmark the GPU, it only jump to ~1190Mhz, increasing core voltage is no helping at all, i try to change it to 1320, which is totally under override limit of the card, but it still the same clock ( 1190Mhz).
Any idea how can i fix this? Really appreciated for helping.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
You're probably hitting the power limit, at which point increasing clock speeds won't do anything. Increasing voltage will actually make it worse. You're often better off decreasing voltage a bit (default voltage for most RX 570s/580s is higher than it needs to be), and increasing the power limit. Only increase voltage if it starts becoming unstable and you're still under the power limit.

boiboy263

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
yes, totally agree when the power limit show the big differrent, but the core clock still not go up, still at max 1170 and some time drop to ~900, i thought its clock would be higher if the power limit is increase ?

boiboy263

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
as default, which is 1236 core clock, no changing anything, it still the same, and heres some number you ask :
power limit +50( thats the max thingy i can reach)
1080mV, and default it is 1120mV
and yea, im using wattman too ;)

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, so yes you should set the power limit to +50. You could probably try going lower on the voltage, my RX580 can run at 1060 mV at 1350 MHz.

Try using unigine valley benchmark. Furmark uses an unrealistic amount of power, such that you may still end up hitting the lower limit.

boiboy263

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
ok, now i mind that pubg should make my gpu run at max clock speed, so maybe i should use it for testing :V
i think i hit the limit of undervolting it, because another -20 on core voltage will get me BSOD.

boiboy263

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
but hey TJ, can i ask u this, i see the 570 and 580 have the same gpu, so can i flash rx580 bios into 570 ? and if yes, will there any unstable happen? and if not, can i roll back to the old bios when something goes wrong?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
but hey TJ, can i ask u this, i see the 570 and 580 have the same gpu, so can i flash rx580 bios into 570 ? and if yes, will there any unstable happen? and if not, can i roll back to the old bios when something goes wrong?
The 580 uses the same die, but binned for required frequency/voltage/power, and for the chip to be fully functional (a 570 has parts of the die disabled, such that dies with some defects can still be used). I suppose it's possible that some 570 GPUs actually met all these requirements but they simply needed a 570 rather than a 580, but I have no idea how likely that'd be.

So even if you were able to successfully flash a 580 BIOS, there's no guarantee your chip is actually capable of performing like a 580. And if there was any issue with the flash you could end up with a bricked card and I'm not sure if you'd be able to recover it.

I wouldn't risk it.

boiboy263

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
sorry for the late response, but i think yea, just leave it like it should be. but my mainboard only have one PCIE x16, and one PCI x1, my cpu is E3 1230v2, i believe it has 16 lane of pci. But now I want to do a crossfire with a riser on the PCIE x1, let say I do it with a exactly the same gpu Im having, will it increase any countable performance ? and even if it does, is it worth if i have to pay two times the electric bill ?