[SOLVED] GPU clock speed at 100% at all times.

Apr 15, 2021
I've tried everything to fix it. I did completely wipe all drives with DDU and still no change.
iZiRZWv.png

Solution
I have heard if you run more than one display the clock stays high a lot more often.

Totally forgot about this. Yes. Having more than one monitor will cause your memory clocks to go wonky. It's because of the display circuit having to manage two different timings and it's a lot easier to run at a high clock speed than constantly switch memory frequencies for different displays when timing is important.
Apr 15, 2021
It is possible your system is infected with mining software? Ethereum tends to be heavy on memory usage.

Did you run a malware scan? Try malware bytes or bit defender.
I run malware scans quite often, nothing pops up. (just did a scan just now)

Looking at some MSI afterburner youtube videos, looks like their memory clocks are also always max, guess it's just normal.

freakshow85

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
Are you running multiple high refresh rate monitors? I know on my RX480 8GB the memory will stay at 2000mhz when I plug a second monitor in. From what I had read in the past, this is normal.. for AMD. There's only 2 levels for this card's memory. 300mhz and 2000mhz. Even with 1x 144hz monitor, it bounces around here and there from 300mhz to 2000mhz. Since they are designed that way according to AMD, it doesn't worry me, it just kinda peeves me that when my memory is at 300mhz, the card idles at 7-8 watts, but when the memory is at 2000mhz, it idles between 20-25 watts.

Not sure if Nvidia is the same way.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
I have heard if you run more than one display the clock stays high a lot more often.

Totally forgot about this. Yes. Having more than one monitor will cause your memory clocks to go wonky. It's because of the display circuit having to manage two different timings and it's a lot easier to run at a high clock speed than constantly switch memory frequencies for different displays when timing is important.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS