Question Gpu clock speed dropping

NatTec

Honorable
May 24, 2016
Hi sorry for my ignorance, but I'm very much a tech beginner. I have been lucky enough to get a new msi rx6800 trio gpu, but have some concerns about it. The performance seems to be good in some titles an not so great in others, so i started to have the in game overlay in the top corner to monitor the gpu, and i noticed that when there is alot of action taking place on screen i.e. im in a big fight with 5 plus people on chivarly or if im in a heavy wave in deep rock galactic the fps would drop, but so would the clock speed. Is this normal? in games like dead by daylight or rocket league the gpu can boost up to about 2200 mhz (factory settings) and be quite stable, but in these other titles it does not. In Chivalry 2 for example i tend to see it jumping around all over the place, even seen it go to 1100 mhz (some times lower) along with the fps drop.

Im just kinda baffled, some games rock solid, some games all over the place?

chivalry 2 fps can bounce anywhere between 120-70 fps

deep rock can go from 240 fps (max)
down to like 80 in big fights

So i guess i have a couple questions, 1)is it normal for clock speeds to drop in a heavy action part of rendering?
2)is the behaviour of my card normal? i have seen some other 6800/6800xt users mentioning issues along these lines

just some additional info, gpu temps while games seem to be pretty much 55-58 degrees, hotspot can get up to about 95-96 (highest ive seen it go)
cpu 5800x usually sits around 65-75

3200 mhz ram 16g

sorry for rambling could not find a definitive answer online, thanks for taking the time to read.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not a huge expert on these cards, hot spot temps are a little concerning. I wonder how well the GPU cooler is making contact. Try giving the screws around the GPU a quick tightening, nothing too extreme, just check if they are tight really. Other than that, hard to say.

If it really is staying around 55-58 degrees, it isn't working that hard, which says your limit might be the game engine and the CPU (I know, fast CPU) But there are limits in all things. In games where you experience slow downs and see the GPU clock drop, increase the game's settings. Might have more eye candy left on the table.

NatTec

Honorable
May 24, 2016
Not a huge expert on these cards, hot spot temps are a little concerning. I wonder how well the GPU cooler is making contact. Try giving the screws around the GPU a quick tightening, nothing too extreme, just check if they are tight really. Other than that, hard to say.

If it really is staying around 55-58 degrees, it isn't working that hard, which says your limit might be the game engine and the CPU (I know, fast CPU) But there are limits in all things. In games where you experience slow downs and see the GPU clock drop, increase the game's settings. Might have more eye candy left on the table.

Thanks for the reply, seems toasty but amd cards run quite hot (according to a quick google) an the throttle point for the junction temp is 110 which is a good 14-15 degrees away from the highest I’ve ever seen it, in terms with it being linked with temperature dead by daylight is one game that seems to get the junction temp up to a good 93-95 , and in that instance the clocks seem to stay solid, I am looking at sclk clocks (doing this reply from my phone and from memory so not sure but I think that’s the one I monitor dropping) not mclk? ,
The mystery continues, mayby I’m making something out of nothing? It’s frustrating being ignorant sometimes 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

NatTec

Honorable
May 24, 2016
Just on a side note i got interested on the temps on my card an decided to use Furmark to see how it did, my rx6800 GPU temp never went above 56 degrees while the junction temp shot to 95 then( fans took a sec to get themselves going, max they got to was about 1980 rpm) increased slowly to 98-99 degrees, i ran it for 3 mins seemed stable, boost clocks stayed up at about 2200mhz, I'm still using the stock fan curve, so I'm going to go make it a bit more aggressive, really strange that my overall GPU temp never seems to get higher than mid 50's, i checked when i first boosted the system to see if the reading was stuck there, meaning a faulty sensor, but when i booted the system it said it was 33, it slowly warmed up while i was browsing the web and the temperature reading changed accordingly.

Any other thoughts from people would be apricated/ not sure if thermals and the GPU clock speed dropping are linked at all tbh, but I am now concerned about my thermals, so yay, fun night! any other 6000 series people out there who could compare and let me know how they got on, would be great.

What driver are you using? 21.4.3 was the worst driver in years in my experience anyhow.
Download the latest driver 21.5.2. This has to be done manually as it is an optional driver not offered through the AMD software.
https://www.amd.com/en/support
download DDU
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
use DDU in safe mode
reboot
install new drivers
reboot > not shut down
try again
21.4.3 was pretty bad for crashing all the time, and inconsistant for me and many others
I hope this helps you

NatTec

Honorable
May 24, 2016
Hmm, ok, I have installed the new drivers an too be honest, I cant see a difference, but one thing that is absolutely concerning me now is the thermal behaviour of the card. The hotspot on my card does not slowly ramp up when placed under load, it instantly shoots up to high temperatures (depending on the game). Lets take the most punishing game I have (or seems to be punishing it the most) is dead by daylight (with unlocked fps). When I launch the game even in the menu the card hotspot temp shoots from 55ish right up to high 70's 80's 95 instantly (depends on game rocket league the hotspot might jump to 80's, dead by daylight up to mid to high 90s). This is very noticeably now that I have changed my fan curve to something more aggressive as I can hear the card fans spin up to like-75% pretty much as soon as I launch the game.

Now while playing the game the fans get the hotspot temperature under control, maybe in the low to mid 80's, but that's just playing dead by daylight, and with 70-75% fan speed, could any other 6800 owners, compare this behaviour to their card, not sure if I'm on to something that might be linked to the dropping clocks (although I've not seen it get to 110 degrees-the hotspot throttle temp- did see a spicy 99 though) if this is normal, maybe I have to just let it get hot with a less insane fan curve, because it keeps sounding like my pc is going to take off.
I should note the edge temp never seems to move from 50-55,usually goes down to like 43-47 when the fans are battling the hotspot.

Any and all advice welcome

Last edited: