[SOLVED] GPU clocks dropping by 15 Mhz

Jul 25, 2019
Specs
  • GPU: Asus Geforce RTX 2070 super
  • CPU: Amd ryzen 3600x
  • PSU: Corsair AX1000
  • RAM: Geforce trident skill 3200 Mhz(2133DRAM Freq)
More of a general question as of recently I have built a relatively brand new computer excluding RAM and Storage, When I'm monitoring my gpu on msi afterburner it will often go down from 2010 Mhz to 1995 Mhz and then rarely 1980 Mhz and very very rarely 1950 Mhz. Keeping in mind that on afterburner the max temps that i've ever gotten was around 58^C and CPU temps 69^C. I don't really see games having any problems reaching high fps however, recently in games such as borderlands 3(Stuttering), destiny 2(slight microstutters), and black ops 3(slight microstuttering). I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my problems, but i'm also curious because in my old build my 1060 would hold a 2010 mhz frequency quite easilly with a amd 2700.

Solution
It's normal for the PC to ramp up like that, as it pulls more power on boot than it does while idling.
If your PC starts like a jet engine, think how mine must sound at boot, with:
-7x Noctua 140mm IPPC 3000 pwm
-8x Noctua 120mm IPPC 3000 pwm

Oh yea, if you haven't seen it already, this video might help you get some extra frames out of BL3: (it should be titled 'UP TO 50%, not 'just 50%')
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6FWiVwq1fI

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A 2070S will vary depending on temps, moreso that a 1060 would.
Given the fact they're defined 15MHz increments, I would assume it's a difference of probably only 1-2'C.
To test, increase your fan speed in MSI afterburner, even max it out. Are clocks 100% static at that point?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Turing uses the same gpu boost algorithm as Pascal. These guys are temperature sensitive and drop clocks at certain thresholds.
The first is around 60C, then 72(not sure about this one), and it throttles at 84C.

My 1080Ti sits at 2050mhz until about 60C, then it drops to 19xxmhz.
A more aggressive fan curve might help, MIGHT.

You have 1 or 2 sticks of memory?

Jul 25, 2019
A 2070S will vary depending on temps, moreso that a 1060 would.
Given the fact they're defined 15MHz increments, I would assume it's a difference of probably only 1-2'C.
To test, increase your fan speed in MSI afterburner, even max it out. Are clocks 100% static at that point?
Ill go ahead and give that a go I feel like afterburner isn't showing my real gpu temps since they're quite low so I'll try a simple fan increase manually since fan curve never really seems to set in.

Jul 25, 2019
Turing uses the same gpu boost algorithm as Pascal. These guys are temperature sensitive and drop clocks at certain thresholds.
The first is around 60C, then 72(not sure about this one), and it throttles at 84C.

My 1080Ti sits at 2050mhz until about 60C, then it drops to 19xxmhz.
A more aggressive fan curve might help, MIGHT.

You have 1 or 2 sticks of memory?
I have 16 Gbs so should be relatively good i'll go ahead and try some fan increases

Jul 25, 2019
The number of sticks does matter.
One of the possible causes for stutters is the lack of memory bandwidth from running a single stick of ram.
The cpu won't run at full potential with just 1.
^All this assuming you have a single stick though.
My bad I do have 2 sticks of ram in a2/b2 slot both recognized its just a total of 16 gb's, ran a memtest this morning on them went through around 3 passes with no errors surprisingly, thought it might be why i get the occasional stutter.

Jul 25, 2019
As for the fan curve went at around 80 fan speed but still for some reason just goes down to 1995 mhz at around 41^c and just stays there for the most part. In my last build I had a power outage where suddenly during rust my 1060 dipped to 135 mhz which eventually led me to replacing alot of my parts, what really makes me wonder as well is that after that my max clock count was also 1995 mhz despite originally being 2010 mhz constant while my 1060 was working well, I could only assume one of the vrms wasn't working as intended after the power outage causing cpu instabbillity.

Jul 25, 2019
Not sure if this means much, but Just took the front panel off the computer to see if maybe it would help get some more airflow(same results) and i could hear my gpu making quite the buzzing noise which I assume its just coil whine, upon holding the hdmi cable there seemed to be a slight pattern to the buzzing feeling the vibrations off of it. Just spitballing at this point but if anyone can think of anything for this stuttering don't be afraid to post! i'm currently looking everywhere for solutions or possible fixes

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Latest Nvidia drivers?
Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings.
Low latency mode is set to off? [I don't know if Nvidia fixed this feature yet in their current drivers, but in it's first driver release, it actually impaired performance.]
Gpu set to maximum performance?

Which Asus model? The Strix, Turbo, or Dual?

Was Windows reinstalled after making the switch to the 3600X?
I know you shouldn't have to do this if you haven't changed the motherboard, but sometimes Windows has 'hiccups'.

Jul 25, 2019
Latest Nvidia drivers?
Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings.
Low latency mode is set to off? [I don't know if Nvidia fixed this feature yet in their current drivers, but in it's first driver release, it actually impaired performance.]
Gpu set to maximum performance?

Which Asus model? The Strix, Turbo, or Dual?

Was Windows reinstalled after making the switch to the 3600X?
I know you shouldn't have to do this if you haven't changed the motherboard, but sometimes Windows has 'hiccups'.
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Advance...=GeForce+RTX+2070+super&qid=1568941502&sr=8-9 This is the exact version, and I have switched out motherboards to the X570 as i switched to 3600x, i didn't immediately reinstall windows as i thought it would be fine but have recently done so using system restore to remove all files and reinstall windows(should i delete parititions and use a usb drive instead to do so?)

EDIT: And yes sorry i didn't answer your first questions, all the nvidia drivers and modes are set to what would be maximum performance low latency is off, and i've downloaded every set of drivers and firmware that could possibly help speed up my comp.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Advance...=GeForce+RTX+2070+super&qid=1568941502&sr=8-9 This is the exact version, and I have switched out motherboards to the X570 as i switched to 3600x, i didn't immediately reinstall windows as i thought it would be fine but have recently done so using system restore to remove all files and reinstall windows(should i delete parititions and use a usb drive instead to do so?)
Ok, Strix is their high end model. It shouldn't have issues keeping cool.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000735/windows-10-reinstall (under Types of Reinstalls for Windows 10)
It shouldn't have been an issue.

Another reason the clocks are dropping would be if you're hitting the card's power limits.
You can check this via Msi Afterburner. Go to settings > Monitoring, find and check Power Limit, then hit Apply.
This will put up a new graph with values of 0 - 1, with 1 being the power limit.
The card will clock down depending on which - either the temperature thresholds or power limit - it hits first.

Honestly, it kinda sucks Nvidia was so conservative on power limits. It's like the main reason Pascal and Turing have poor overclocking headroom... save for the limitless EVGA 2080Ti Kingpin.

Jul 25, 2019
Ok, Strix is their high end model. It shouldn't have issues keeping cool.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000735/windows-10-reinstall (under Types of Reinstalls for Windows 10)
It shouldn't have been an issue.

Another reason the clocks are dropping would be if you're hitting the card's power limits.
You can check this via Msi Afterburner. Go to settings > Monitoring, find and check Power Limit, then hit Apply.
This will put up a new graph with values of 0 - 1, with 1 being the power limit.
The card will clock down depending on which - either the temperature thresholds or power limit - it hits first.

Honestly, it kinda sucks Nvidia was so conservative on power limits. It's like the main reason Pascal and Turing have poor overclocking headroom... save for the limitless EVGA 2080Ti Kingpin.
Yeah I just did a quick benchmark on BL3 to see if any of this actually occured however it seems that the power limit actually never hit, one thing to note is that 3 cores did reach 100% only once with mild stuttering, The thing is that BL3 is also technically not optimized as of its recent release which could explain that just not some of the other games where it happens rarely on. But I agree it seems power limits do have some rule of thumb on overclocking as I have seen it go up before. One thing i'll try is to see if there's any monitor software. Also I'm not sure if this means anything but when i start my computer man the best way i can describe it is it starts like a jet engine.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's normal for the PC to ramp up like that, as it pulls more power on boot than it does while idling.

Oh yea, if you haven't seen it already, this video might help you get some extra frames out of BL3: (it should be titled 'UP TO 50%, not 'just 50%')

Reactions: veronscopes
Solution
Jul 25, 2019

yeah, its more likely that the game just is poorly optimized by now i've seen some of these videos and have tryed a few, I don't mind playing on the lowest of the low settings, I just want to play at stable framerates for the most part that's why stuttering for me is something that i hate more than anything else I'll go ahead and close this thread and wait for a performance patch as its hard for me to pinpoint the slight stutters i'm getting for some of my other games

Jul 25, 2019
One last thing. PBO set to enabled, and Windows power plan set to Ryzen balanced?
I haven't enabled PBO but should I? and power plan is set to balanced, although unsure if its currently making much of a difference as my clock speeds are staying at 4.2 ghz no matter what for some odd reason I'll put on PBO though