Question GPU cooling options?

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
I have 2 120 mm fans at the front of my case pulling in air and 2 120 mm fans (one on the back and one facing up) in the rear of the case venting air out. I think the overall airflow is "ok" but I am getting high temps on my GPU. Its an EVGA RTX 2080 and even though Im told that 81 C is "normal" for being air cooled and overclocked a bit, I am curious about other cooling options.
Currently the OC on my GPU and CPU don't cause any thermal problems really that I can tell I am just curious about keeping things "cool" for the sake of my bedroom getting so hot after gaming for 6 hours straight to the point Im contemplating an HVAC upgrade ha.
I bought an 80 mm fan that can stand on its own and fit below my GPU. Its marketed for external cooling for game consoles and audio receivers but seems to suit my needs well (plugging in to USB) With the ability to place said fan under the GPU it takes away the PCI expand-ability of my rig but who cares. I plan on mounting the fan where the PCI removable expansion slots are on the case and mounting it somehow (in the vertical/standing up and down).... What I have a question about is how to mount the fan? Pull more air into the case (my thinking is this way) or vent air out? The air under the GPU that it pulls from to cool itself seems to me a problem with that air already being warmer and kinda "stagnant".
What are some thoughts you have on this? Im thinking honestly of redoing the thermal paste on the GPU also to see if that helps at all as well, searching the web for a good tare down/instructional vid on how to get at an EVGA RTX 2080 so I dont screw up an 800$ vid card.

When you OC a graphics card, it is going to run hotter.
Can you actually tell the difference?
Perhaps it would be best to abandon the OC.
You can set the gpu cooling fan profile to get more cooling, at the expense of noise.

Another possibility is to replace the two front 120mm intakes with fans of higher rpm to get more cooling air.
Again, that is at the cost of increased noise.