[SOLVED] GPU cooling options

Guildive

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2015
I'm running a 2080TI FE in a Meshify C case and I'm getting temps of 80-85 degrees when gaming (also fans revving every 10-15 seconds) and 40 degrees when idle. I've already tried reapplying thermal paste and it fixed the issue for a week or two before the high temps and constant fan revving returned. I have two 140mm intake fans in the front and one 120mm exhaust in the back.

When I remove the glass panel on the case, my gaming temps drop to the 70s and idle to 30.

Leaving the side panel off obviously isn't something I want to do long term, and I was wondering if my money would be better spent on a new case with better airflow (maybe the Fractal Torrent) or an AIO (I was looking at the Kraken X73).

Solution
you really won't find a case with much better airflow.
a full mesh front, fully vented top, vented bottom, and rear exhaust vent is about as good as it gets.

i'm guessing you mean GPU temps since you don't mention what in particular.
if you are referring to CPU temps then you will need to include what you are currently using as a cooler,
what fans it has on it,
and what fan curve profile you are using for it.

there are some additions and alterations you can make;
add top-rear 140mm exhaust,
add two front 140mm & a move the 120mm front intake to the front-bottom,
add a bottom 120mm intake and remove the shroud panel above it,
if it will fit add a 120mm directly under the GPU on the PSU shroud...
you really won't find a case with much better airflow.
a full mesh front, fully vented top, vented bottom, and rear exhaust vent is about as good as it gets.

i'm guessing you mean GPU temps since you don't mention what in particular.
if you are referring to CPU temps then you will need to include what you are currently using as a cooler,
what fans it has on it,
and what fan curve profile you are using for it.

there are some additions and alterations you can make;
add top-rear 140mm exhaust,
add two front 140mm & a move the 120mm front intake to the front-bottom,
add a bottom 120mm intake and remove the shroud panel above it,
if it will fit add a 120mm directly under the GPU on the PSU shroud.
a10_081719.jpg

you can also alter the GPU's fan curve profile to run at higher RPMs according to temperature with software like MSI Afterburner or EVGA's Precision X1.

Last edited:
Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
One proven idea is to have rear intake through the PCIe slots below the GPU. There are even some 3d printable shrouds that you can have made. But you can also just DIY with some plastic or paper.

Remove slot covers, add fan, and make a triangular shroud that directs the air into the GPU intakes.

Took me a while to find it since the title doesn't match:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHp1yrjlMz0

This one is 'new', but basically the same concept minus the ductwork:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/9m1fy6/i_added_these_two_noctua_40mm_fans_to_the_rear_of/

bottom-mount exhaust fan
bottom exhaust would only have a negative impact on temperature.
all it will be doing is sucking the cool air brought in from the front directly out of the case.
you'd want top as exhaust
and bottom as intake.
fan curve is set to 40% minimum
make 60-70° 100%.
you want your fans maxing out way before it reaches 90°.