[SOLVED] GPU CPU compatibility

Dec 5, 2021
Looking at a new Dell XPS 8950 with i9-12900K CPU (32GB RAM) and Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6. Using for software development, not gaming. Viewing on 1080p (maybe one day will add 1440p monitor).

Substituting Nvidia RTX(TM) 3060 Ti 8GB (LHR) GPU would add ~ $300. Would value opinions as to whether the GTX 1660 TI 6GB (LHR) will be sufficient (no major bottlenecks) for software development work, involving everyday, routine graphics (for example, still renders in Photoshop)?

Last edited:
Solution
Adding a higher end video card won't improve performance that much in areas where Photoshop uses the GPU. It's better to focus on a more powerful CPU here.

As for software development in general, unless you're dealing with real-time 3D graphics, the CPU matters more as well.
Adding a higher end video card won't improve performance that much in areas where Photoshop uses the GPU. It's better to focus on a more powerful CPU here.

As for software development in general, unless you're dealing with real-time 3D graphics, the CPU matters more as well.

Solution

jasonf2

Distinguished
I agree with the comments above, but for $300 I would still upgrade. Photoshop no matter what you are doing with it isn't really that incredibly time consuming when rendering. Just make sure you have a decent ssd. If you are looking at video editing and transcoding though (obviously not in photoshop) that changes the story a bit. The biggest reason I say upgrade today though is that if for some reason you find that you aren't in love with the 1660 you are looking at a post build cost of 600-800 to move up to the 3060 if you can find the card.

Dec 5, 2021
Looking at a new Dell XPS 8950 with i9-12900K CPU (32GB RAM) and Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6. Using for software development, not gaming. Viewing on 1080p (maybe one day will add 1440p monitor).

Substituting Nvidia RTX(TM) 3060 Ti 8GB (LHR) GPU would add ~ $300. Would value opinions as to whether the GTX 1660 TI 6GB (LHR) will be sufficient (no major bottlenecks) for software development work, involving everyday, routine graphics (for example, still renders in Photoshop)?

Thank you for these replies and suggestions.

BTW the configuration would have a 1 TB SSD (boot) and 2 TB 7200 SATA. I understand the upgrade suggestion since I am weighing current versus future yet unknown use (rarely have done anything with video other than Adobe Captivate MPEG demos of applications created) . The RTX 1660 12 GB is also available at ~ $200 increase instead of the ~ $300 for the 1660 TI 8GB.

Unfortunately, I have limited knowledge about graphics, hardware in general, so it has been a difficult decision .

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021
Thank you for these replies and suggestions.

BTW the configuration would have a 1 TB SSD (boot) and 2 TB 7200 SATA. I understand the upgrade suggestion since I am weighing current versus future yet unknown use (rarely have done anything with video other than Adobe Captivate MPEG demos of applications created) . The RTX 1660 12 GB is also available at ~ $200 increase instead of the ~ $300 for the 1660 TI 8GB.

Unfortunately, I have limited knowledge about graphics, hardware in general, so it has been a difficult decision .
As an update, I decided based on the suggestions to order the computer with the newer GPU (Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti 8GB GDDR6 ). Again thank you for providing helpful suggestions.