GPU/CPU Heating Problems

UhmBrock

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Hello,
I'm getting 70 degrees C when playing torchlight on my 4650, idling at around 55. My Pentium(R) E6700 processor is getting a little bit hot too. Core 0 was around 61C during the game and idles at about 50C, and Core 1 was around 58C during the game and idles at about 48C. I can't seem to increase my fan speeds for my GPU in the ATI control panel, or at least when I do, it doesn't seem to have much of an effect. So what I need to know, is how can I cool my system and make sure that my fan settings are actually changing?

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Actually your temps are good, I have a 4770 which idles at around 70C! I checked around recently in Tom's forums and the guys say that a GPU at 70C idle is quite normal. The CPU temps are lower (as they should) and also look good. I keep the Mobo and CCC fan controls on auto, and the thermal monitor on at all times. So I figure if heat gets too high the pc will shut down on it's own.
To be on the safe side dust out your case and heat syncs, also keep the cables tied up so air flow is good inside the case.

GPUs run hotter than CPUs, and 70C is perfectly normal. You usually don't worry about them until they approach triple digits.

The CPU temp is a bit on the high side, but not dangerous. Since this looks like a roughly 5-year-old computer, there are a number of age-related issues that could be causing it to gradually heat up. First of which would be excessive dust, and second of which would be the CPU heatsink thermal paste getting brittle and cracked and starting to lose contact. See if cleaning it out and reapplying the thermal paste brings the CPU temps down some.

You might want to check for dust build-up in your graphics card's cooler and the CPU cooler (among other parts of the case) if you think the temps are too high, but like others have said, they aren't too high. You could get a can of compressed air (make sure that it's rated for use on electronics) and try blowing any dust out of the coolers and case, just be ready to clean up the mess afterwards.

DirkAction

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Depends on your case. If it's a generic Dell/HP/Gateway/etc case, I'm not sure what you can do. If it's custom though and has extra ventilation, preferably at the top, you should reverse your exhaust fan(s) and add another intake fan or two if possible.

I just learned about 'positive airflow' recently and discovered that's why my case has never had any dust inside it. I have 750mm of total intake fans and only 350mm exhaust, so it looks like 2 intake to 1 exhaust is a good ratio. If you don't really have space for a new fan(s) you could try just reversing the rear exhaust fan and letting your PSU do the exhaust for you.

TRENDING THREADS