[SOLVED] GPU/CPU Utilization low when using lower settings. Poor fps

Sep 29, 2021
I recently upgraded my computer to a RTX 3080, and I've noticed that no matter what graphics settings I have the game set to, the fps I get does not change much. For instance, in rainbow 6 siege, I get ~200 fps on both the low and ultimate presets, the only difference is when on low, the gpu and cpu both run at around 40% utilization, while on ultimate the gpu runs at 90% and the cpu runs at 60%.

It seems like my computer is capping the framerate on it's own, almost like the temps are too high, but the temps are very low. On low settings the fans are barely active.

200 fps may not sound bad, but my monitor is 280hz and I'd like to use it's full potential. I have also tested the game on my friend's computer with the same cpu and a 2070 super, and he gets a consistent 350 fps on low settings.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080
MOBO: ASUS Tuf X570
PSU: Corsair 850W

Solution
I recently upgraded my computer to a RTX 3080, and I've noticed that no matter what graphics settings I have the game set to, the fps I get does not change much. For instance, in rainbow 6 siege, I get ~200 fps on both the low and ultimate presets, the only difference is when on low, the gpu and cpu both run at around 40% utilization, while on ultimate the gpu runs at 90% and the cpu runs at 60%.

It seems like my computer is capping the framerate on it's own, almost like the temps are too high, but the temps are very low. On low settings the fans are barely active.

200 fps may not sound bad, but my monitor is 280hz and I'd like to use it's full potential. I have also tested the game on my friend's computer with the same cpu and a...

200 fps may not sound bad, but my monitor is 280hz and I'd like to use it's full potential. I have also tested the game on my friend's computer with the same cpu and a 2070 super, and he gets a consistent 350 fps on low settings.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080
MOBO: ASUS Tuf X570
PSU: Corsair 850W
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan, choose amd ryzen balanced, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling (available on the latest win 10 update) in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution
Sep 29, 2021
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan, choose amd ryzen balanced, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling (available on the latest win 10 update) in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

I appreciate the detailed instructions but this did not fix my problem.

I have also tried testing the directx version of rainbow six, as well as csgo. In directx rainbow I get ~150 fps with 40% cpu and 45% gpu average. In csgo I get ~180 fps with 20% cpu and 30% gpu.

Could this be a motherboard issue? There was a bios update that I installed but no luck.

If this is a graphics driver issue, who should I contact? My cards manufacturer, EVGA, or Nvidia directly?

Thanks for the help