Question [GPU Crash] GPU Crashing/Failure leading to black screen?

secondubly

Reputable
Dec 16, 2018
Sometimes when gaming and/or streaming, my two PC monitors will flicker briefly for a moment and then stop detecting the signal from my PC - it'll sit like this for a minute or two while I can still hear audio from whatever I was doing (a YouTube video, the game sound, etc.) and then my PC will restart. It happens sporadically and I'm not sure what the cause could be. I decided to take a look at the Windows Event Viewer and while I didn't pin down the exact time this happened, I did notice a couple `nvlddkm` errors in the logs at around the time this last occurred (about 7 minutes ago). I'm not sure what the issue could be: whether it's my GPU dying, a bad driver, or something else entirely. If needed, I saved the error event logs to my PC and can upload them if it will help diagnose the problem. I did update my GPU drivers around 2 days ago to the latest version so I'm not sure if that could be the cause but I came here for help narrowing down the solution so I don't have to go through the trouble of process of elimination.

Code:
        Operating System
            Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
        CPU
            AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
        RAM
            G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL19 Memory @ 1782MHz (20-20-20-40)
        Motherboard
            Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7C84) (AM4)
        Graphics
            4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti (Gigabyte)
        Monitors
           DELL S2721DGF (x2)
        Storage
            2794GB Seagate ST3000DM008-2DM166 (SATA ) (External Hard Drive)
            465GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB (SATA (SSD))
            931GB Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB (SATA (SSD)) (OS Hard Drive)
            1863GB Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB (Unknown (SSD))
        Power Supply
            Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Last edited:
First provide your PC specs, and more details for troubleshooting.

Complete system specs should ALWAYS be accompanied with any driver, hardware, or performance question. Do not post DXDiag reports as they contain a TON of useless information. Posting a DxDiag in place of a System Spec list tends to ward off potential members from helping you.

Please supply the following system details/information. No need to provide each and every detail though, only relevant to your issue at hand. This is just for reference:

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":
-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/Anti-malware software

secondubly

Reputable
Dec 16, 2018
Apologies! I have updated my initial post with the relevant specs for my PC. Also, for an added detail, the Event ID for my nvlddmkm crashes in the Event Viewer is Event ID 14

Also, for an added detail, the Event ID for my nvlddmkm crashes in the Event Viewer is Event ID 14

No worries. By any chance have you Overclocked/OC'd your GPU as well as system RAM ? Check the memory timings in BIOS as well. There are actually several causes of this Nvidia driver error, but no fixed solution.

Does this happen with a SINGLE monitor as well ? I know you have updated your GPU drivers recently, but did you do a CLEAN re-install/update by using the DDU tool ?

Revert all the BIOS settings to factory default values for the time being, and then test the system.

secondubly

Reputable
Dec 16, 2018
No worries. By any chance have you Overclocked/OC'd your GPU as well as system RAM ? Check the memory timings in BIOS as well. There are actually several causes of this Nvidia driver error, but no fixed solution.

Does this happen with a SINGLE monitor as well ? I know you have updated your GPU drivers recently, but did you do a CLEAN re-install/update by using the DDU tool ?

Revert all the BIOS settings to factory default values for the time being, and then test the system.
I don’t think I’ve overclocked either of them, but I can double check! Also I did not do an update using the DDU tool, I will do that today as well.

Also this happens with both monitors - they will freeze up for about a second or two, then go completely black. I'll still be able to hear audio for a few seconds, then it will switch to the "No Signal Found" screen and then just sit there until a minute or so later, where the PC restarts.

Last edited:

secondubly

Reputable
Dec 16, 2018
When used independently (by totally disconnecting one of the monitors), or combined at the same time ?
I never tried disconnecting one monitor (as I use both for work/personal use) but it occurs with both at once - they'll both freeze at the same time and then go into "signal not found" mode together.