[SOLVED] GPU crashes while gaming

Oct 14, 2020
Hello dear community,

this is my first post in this forum and english is also not my native language, so please excuse some mistakes.

Since a few months I have a problem with my GPU, it keeps crashing on some games (Overwatch, Ark) while it runs smoothly with some less performance heavy games (LoL).

My specs are:
CPU: AMD FX-4350
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480
PSU: LC-Power 6550 v2.2
RAM: Corsair XMS 16 GB DDR3
Board: Asrock 970 Extreme 4
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

The crash manifests itself in a black screen followed by "no signal" from the monitor and the gpu fans start spinning very fast.
The PC has to reboot then.

At first i tested my hardware with prime95, memtest86 and furmark. Prime95 and memtest86 doesnt cause any errors but if i start the GPU stress test with furmark, i instantly get the same crash as while gaming. Then I de-installed the Graphics driver with DDU and reinstalled them, but couldn't fix the problem.
I changed the GPU to an old Radeon HD 7750 and testet it again with furmark and it worked. I also changed my RX480 into my brother's PC and he got the same issue while testing with furmark. Then i tried to underclock my RX480 but even that couldn't fix the problem. I always tested this with the furmark stress test.

I really think the problem is caused by the RX480 but i didn't want to believe that the GPU is just broken, because some games still work with it. Do you have any idea what i should do next? Sadly i don't have warranty on the RX480.
If you need more information, please ask in the comments.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hello dear community,

this is my first post in this forum and english is also not my native language, so please excuse some mistakes.

Since a few months I have a problem with my GPU, it keeps crashing on some games (Overwatch, Ark) while it runs smoothly with some less performance heavy games (LoL).

My specs are:

The crash manifests itself in a black screen followed by "no signal" from the monitor and the gpu fans start spinning very fast.

At first i tested my hardware with prime95, memtest86 and furmark. Prime95 and memtest86 doesnt cause any errors but if...

fromtheveldt

Prominent
Oct 19, 2020
Do you use MSI Afterburner at all? Use it to monitor your GPU as you play a game the RX 480 can handle, and see how the card reacts. Then, use it when trying to play one of the games that causes a crash, in order to determine if the issue is related to the card's temperature.

Hello dear community,

My specs are:

At first i tested my hardware with prime95, memtest86 and furmark. Prime95 and memtest86 doesnt cause any errors but if i start the GPU stress test with furmark, i instantly get the same crash as while gaming. Then I de-installed the Graphics driver with DDU and reinstalled them, but couldn't fix the problem.
I changed the GPU to an old Radeon HD 7750 and testet it again with furmark and it worked. I also changed my RX480 into my brother's PC and he got the same issue while testing with furmark. Then i tried to underclock my RX480 but even that couldn't fix the problem. I always tested this with the furmark stress test.

I really think the problem is caused by the RX480 but i didn't want to believe that the GPU is just broken, because some games still work with it. Do you have any idea what i should do next? Sadly i don't have warranty on the RX480.
If you need more information, please ask in the comments.

Thanks in advance.
Well, it definitely does seem to behave like a video card crash with the hard reset involved. If it crashes in furmark and more strenuous games but not less stressful tests or games, it might be overheating because furmark is known to increase temps on CPUs and GPUs dramatically. It could be that there's crap built up in your card's cooling fins or it could be that you need to put new thermal paste on the GPU die itself.

Which model of RX 480 do you have?

Solution
Oct 20, 2020
It's like reading exactly what I would write about my GTX 1060 doing the exact same thing. I already use MSI Afterburner to monitor (also tried underclocking), and in my case at least, it's definitely NOT a temperature issue. The card will go out the exact same moment that whatever heavy load starts, and the fan will start running on MAX immediately.

That makes me think that it is more likely that it is a power issue, maybe the card is still running, but short circuited somehow and that's why the fan is running fast to protect it. That's a very far reach though, I'm not that intrinsically knowledgeable in the matter.
But my PSU (Corsair TX550M) is no older than 6 months, and is pretty good, with all kinds of over/under voltage protections, so it wouldn't make much sense, thus maybe the problem lies with the power regulators on the graphics card.

It's very weird because it's as if the card needs to rest. If it crashes many times during the day, the phenomenon becomes more sensitive. At one point it even crashed by a youtube video, or while doing other mundane things.
But when I left it alone for a day or two, it's like it came back to life. I was able to play the games that crashed before, and even managed to run FurMark at cautious settings. And then after a while gaming it happened again.

I'm raising my hands.

My friend if you manage to solve your problem please let us know.