[SOLVED] GPU crashing after undervolting it ?

Skylarz

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
So I got a 6800xt and I decided to try mining some ETH with it. The minimum voltage is 881mv on the stock card and I could lower it to that on the Radeon app, but I was still outputting 168W. I decided to download MorePowerTools and a 6800xt stock bios from techpowerup to undervolt the card even more. I tried 612mv and my screen froze, so I decided to return to the default undervolt of 881mv. Now, when I try to undervolt the card, any time it's under load it will freeze and reset the settings (previously I could undervolt it to 881mv with no issues). If I don't limit the power, the card is perfectly fine and gaming is okay. How do I change it back so that I can at least undervolt the card without freezing like before?

Solution
Perhaps you can try and work with the cables from your PSU like that stated in this thread;

On that note, have you taken the card onto a donor system to see if the undervolts are on a hardware level and that the software is just acting up on your current platform?

Lutfij

Titan
Perhaps you can try and work with the cables from your PSU like that stated in this thread;

On that note, have you taken the card onto a donor system to see if the undervolts are on a hardware level and that the software is just acting up on your current platform?

Solution

ronb123

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2013
Exact same thing happened to me. Luckily I had a restore point to return my computer to before I ran MPT. Restored and running 881mV with no issue.

Did you find a solution?

Did you also run the teamred tdp registry patch before having issues?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021
It is perfectly fine 50c is nothing. These cards can go to 100c and give no isues ever. These components are made to heat up. Try going in the snow and try to use your phone in the freezing ice and youll see what I mean. o_O

ronb123

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2013
So i found out the problem was that Wattman (Radeon Software) was not correctly adjusting my voltage as expected. I was already running at min voltage at 100% in Radeon. I used MSI (which also doesn't accurately adjust after MPT either) to show what my GPU was actually doing.
I ended up putting 640 into MPT for min voltage and putting MSI voltage to minimum of 800 (but actually 640mV) with 1150 mhz core clock and 1250 mhz mem clock for 64 mhs at 128 W.