Gpu crashing. Is the card dying or is it the power supply?

Aug 28, 2018
I own a Radeon R9 290x. Recently my graphics card has been crashing only when I'm playing Monster Hunter World. This lead me to two conclusions. Either my graphics card is dying or my power supply is lacking.

Now my graphics card is reaching 5 years of age and there is a probability that the card is just dying. (Possibility #1)

I'm told that the recommended power supply for this card is 750w and I have a 650w. My card hasn't crashed during a heaven benchmark nor any other game for that matter just on MHW. Is it just crashing because the game stresses both cpu and gpu? (Possibility #2)

Is my graphics card dead? or is my current power supply insufficient. I'd like to know your guys' thoughts on whether I should replace the card or the power supply. Unfortunately I don't have a power supply lying around that I can test with.

My specs; Intel i5 6600k (4.6oc 1.325V turned it back to stock and it didn't stop the crashing) R9 290X(Latest drivers) Asus z170k motherboard Corsair 650m(650watt) Gold rated power supply Windows 10 64-bit

Edit: Crash meaning black screen.

Bosch14

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
Ok, so a lot could be happening here. Immediately when I first read this I'm fairly certain that your computer is just overheating and is shutting off to prevent heat damage. It's very rare for a piece of software to completely shut off or crash your entire system, except when you click power off.....Next, from what I found you need at the minimum a 600W PSU for that card but if you were told that you needed a 750W then that's also a problem as when you put the card under more stress it uses more power, especially if you are overclocking to get more power out of it. And don't think that PSU's don't age. The older they get the less power they want to put out. All in all what I really recommend is an upgrade... A lot has changed in 5 years. Hell, my 1070 its looking old as it is with the new 2000 series coming out. However, if upgrading is not an option then all I can recommend is to monitor heat and power consumption. Also, lower the graphics all the way if you really want to play that game. If you don't care enough for that game.....just don't play it.

Aug 28, 2018

Temperatures max out at 85 degrees and on a stock cooler it runs at 94 degrees so I don't think it's a temperature issue

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Solution