[SOLVED] GPU crashing mid-game (not overheating)

Sep 5, 2022
Hi guys im new here, i couldnt find an existing post about this issue so i guess i have to post it myself.

I have a super weird issue with my MSI RX 480 8GB (OS and all drivers all updated), currently with one specific game: Fallout 4. When running the game for about 30 minutes, my screen would flicker a few times, and a few more minutes later the screen turns black, but i can still hear the in-game ambient music and sounds. I dont get the black screen in the game only, my monitor literally starts acting as if i just unplugged the HDMI cable, which forces me to restart my pc, and everything works normal again.
For example I'm playing War Thunder right now, 1080p max, and my RX 480 runs at 100% usage, 70 degrees C, and draws ~160W as usual, everything works fine, this issue literally never happens outside of fallout 4.

Is this a software issue, like the newest driver coflicting with one specific game (idk much about software)? or is my GPU dying?

EDIT: forgot to mention, i would also sometimes get a bluescreen with an "error 0x00000-something" before my monitor turns black.

I do have mods installed in FO4 from long ago, this problem started happening last week so i doubt it has to do anything with those.

My RX came with a factory 1300mhz OC, i tried underclocking a bit, didn't help.

Last edited:
Solution
That's a 6 year old unreliably built PSU. Perhaps try and work with a reliably built 650W donor(borrowed) PSU and see if the issue reciprocates.
Sep 5, 2022
That's a 6 year old unreliably built PSU. Perhaps try and work with a reliably built 650W donor(borrowed) PSU and see if the issue reciprocates.

Actually, i managed to solve this by clean-reinstalling the GPU driver. Even if its a low quality 750W PSU, im sure powering a 65W CPU (10400) and a 160W GPU isn't overburdening it. Anyway, thank you for your time. Cheers (y)

Reactions: Lutfij