[SOLVED] GPU crazy coil whine and stuttering ?

NzSkux

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
Hi all,

Ever since I had a 3070 I have been experiencing stutters in game. I've tried all variations of drivers but nothing fixes it. Latest MOBO bios and GPU bios, with resizeable bar on.

I have replaced my entire PC component by component since I got the card and the only thing that has made it any better/less noticeable is my new ram upgrade (I think this just made it deal with the issue at hand, a little bit faster..). I'm certain it's the GPU or the way Windows 10 interacts with it.

Stutter gets worse/more frequent when I have a download going.

It’s like my entire PC locks up for a the duration of the stutter, it’s not just a random game lag. Also, I can run red dead redemption totally fine and smooth but some games such as borderlands 3 or battlefield V are nearly unplayable. Direct x games are unplayable but games running on vulkan engine are fine.

Ryzen 5600x
Gigabyte OC Gaming 3070
ASUS Prime B550M-K
Windows 10 21H1
G.Skill Trident Z Neo RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz CL18 running DOCP profile
MX500 512GB SSD
Samsung Evo 870 1TB
EVGA 700 GD 700W 80+ Gold Power supply

Last edited:
Solution
Indeed the PSU is not the best and might be an issue. What was the exact model of the previous 650w?
Since you tried so many things and bought almost 3 new systems, I would invest in a new reliable and quality PSU that is known to handle even better cards. Something like Corsair RMx Hx, Ai series, Seasonic focus and prime series, EVGA P2 and T2 series (850w or more would be best). Some recommendations, or you can find the tier list here:

I am not fully convinced it's the PSU though that's why I am inclining more towards RMA of the GPU. In any case swapping the PSU would be a good future investment.

NzSkux

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
So what was the previous build specs? Did you keep the same PSU? Did you do a clean windows installation after a motherboard swap?

Previous build was an asrock z390, intel 9600k, 2400mhz ddr4 (forgot brand), 650w psu. I tried about 5 different windows versions, multiple nvidia drivers. Oh and a new ssd somewhere along the line.

I then thought it could have been my cpu so I bought this motherboard and a Ryzen 3600 and kept the psu. Then bought this new psu, then bought this new ram along with the cpu as it was on sale lol. The only component left now is the gpu and I don’t have a spare one to test..

There was about a month between each new purchase and I would try the windows reinstall multiple times between each new part. I’ve been obsessing over this and every forum I ask for help on, everyone suggests it’s not my gpu so I have been trying heaps of different things to no avail.

The thing is, 80% of games are pretty playable with very mild stutter and some have no stutter at all so I haven’t been too annoyed at it, just limited in what I can play, and I have given up on a few titles as they can stutter every 2 seconds eg. Battlefield V

Someone on a different message board suggested it could be that my PSU is a cheap brand and doesn’t actually hold the 700w, it’s just a peak. So it could be dropping in power. Could this be true? I don’t think that’s the case as the stutters occur when games have to load things for example, a new mob spawns, a new animation happens or I open inventory in borderlands.

Sorry for wall of text: I’m going crazy over this and just want to provide as much as I can.

Last edited:
Indeed the PSU is not the best and might be an issue. What was the exact model of the previous 650w?
Since you tried so many things and bought almost 3 new systems, I would invest in a new reliable and quality PSU that is known to handle even better cards. Something like Corsair RMx Hx, Ai series, Seasonic focus and prime series, EVGA P2 and T2 series (850w or more would be best). Some recommendations, or you can find the tier list here:

I am not fully convinced it's the PSU though that's why I am inclining more towards RMA of the GPU. In any case swapping the PSU would be a good future investment.

Reactions: NzSkux
Solution

NzSkux

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021

Thanks for the reply ,

I agree I do need a better psu. But I don’t see how that would cause the stutter in some games but not others. I have 100% gpu usage in red dead redemption 2 and it’s smooth as butter with no lag. Other games also can run fine with no stutter. It’s just a few games that do have this unplayable freezing. Why would some games suffer from a power drop but others don’t? Do you think I should go buy a new psu and see how I go? I’m not that keen on spending even more money for nothing.

I’ve made the ticket with gigabyte support.. So disappointed that I’m not gonna have a gpu for this long omg

Well the core clock of the GPU is not always at max so 100% usage does not mean you use all of the GPU capabilities.
I said I'm not fully convinced that it's the psus fault. To me either way you should change it. It's the heart of the system and the one component you should never cheap out on it.

Last edited: