Question GPU cuts out when people stand up from couch

Feb 4, 2023
I believe the issue is related to static electricity, but I dont know how to prevent. Often when someone gets up from the couch, the monitors no longer display, the power lights from the GPU are off, but everything else is working (I can hear audio, people can hear me), CPU still running, etc.

I have taken the computer off the carpet on the floor. I have tried pushing the GPU into the port. I am lost on how to keep whatever shock is happening from propegating to my computer.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Problem: "GPU cuts out when people stand up from couch"

Solution: Tell people to stay on couch.

Sorry, couldn't help it....;)

But seriously:
Is it possible people are stepping on any kind of cable when they're moving away from couch? Any electrical cabling underneath the floor / couch that is affected by human pressure??

Last edited:

Sorry, couldn't help myself....;)

But seriously:
Is it possible people are stepping on any kind of cable when they're moving away from couch? Any electrical cabling underneath the floor / couch that is affected by human pressure??
Exactly. Is the couch smashing a plug into an outlet behind it?

Reactions: PEnns
I think a better understand of your layout might help, because the couch should be entirely separate from the PC in most instances. The couch is also not conductive, at least the only thing that might be is the frame, so static electricity from the couch would only effect the PC if someone holding a static charge touched something else that was connected to the PC electrically, since the couch is contained within itself (again electrically).

Also, your PSU should be more than adequate to handle smoothing out some simple couch-based static electricity, plus your surge protector, assuming it actually works. As someone above mentioned, plug the PC into the wall directly just to eliminate one possibility.

At the moment it is hard to see what the motion of getting up from the couch could have any connection to the PC directly. Is that really the only time it happens, and how immediate?

rjohnson98126

Honorable
Jan 2, 2019
sounds like the GPU is not seated fully and/or there is poor connectivity between the GPU pins and PCI socket. "Getting up from couch" is probably more generically related to someone moving about and causing vibrations that aggravate the already poor connection.

fully remove the GPU and connectors.
use electrical contact cleaner spray (WD40, CRC, or other)
clean all pins and sockets.
reseat and ensure fully engaged

if persisting, do you have another PCI slot available? try it.
if still persisting, do you have another GPU card available, just to test? try that.

Feb 4, 2023

Sorry, couldn't help myself....;)

But seriously:
I dont think think people are hitting any cords. The couch is next to the desk (not right next to it, but close. No cables appear to be pinched. There was a privacy screen betweent he desk and couch that had metal rods that my wife set up, so I removed that incase it was transferring charge to something. I will test and see if that fixed it.

Reactions: PEnns
Feb 4, 2023
I dont think think people are hitting any cords. The couch is next to the desk (not right next to it, but close. No cables appear to be pinched. There was a privacy screen betweent he desk and couch that had metal rods that my wife set up, so I removed that incase it was transferring charge to something. I will test and see if that fixed it.

Ok, the metal screen was not the issue...

i would doubt static electricity has anything to do with it.
sounds much more like an issue with vibrations through the floor when people are moving about.

if replacing the surge protector or plugging directly into a wall outlet doesn't help.
i would then try some sort of rubber mat to place under the desk and/or maybe under the system itself.

Reactions: KyaraM

rjohnson98126

Honorable
Jan 2, 2019
The couch is next to the desk (not right next to it, but close.

another reason for me to believe that you computer may be receiving vibrations as people get up and down and move around, and that you should try removing then firmly reseating the GPU card after using electrical contact cleaner to clean the edge connector contacts and the PCI socket, as well as the terminal pins of the PEG/power cables.

i mean, yeah, it took me two attempts to get through Electromagnetism 301 with a C+ and a lot of it is still voodoo to me, but i dont think static travels through the ether to disrupt GPUs. checking connections it's sort of the low hanging fruit that ought to be done before chasing after less quantifiable solutions.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaraM
Jul 13, 2022
Go in BIOS and look for SB Clock Spread Spectrum and turn it to enabled.

A correct thing to check is to see if there are any ground wires missing in your computer, usually they are signed GDN according to the country of residence. Check all the pins connected to the motherboard and actually verify that there are no errors in the wiring.

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
More the GPU to another slot and check all power cables. If another slot works then its the motherboard slot. If the problem still happens try your iGPU if you have one. It takes quite a lot of force normally to knock a PC out if everything is correctly installed. There is a clip to hold the card in the PCie slot. Is this clip broken or missing?

Will be interested to see were the PC is located? How movement from one location could affect the PC in its location.