Question Gpu dead?

Jun 22, 2019
Hello, I have a Nvidia GTX 750, it is kinda old, I know, but now it started doing weird stuff, I plug it in the computer, it works just fine, i boot up the PC, but after 5 minutes it's gone, the resolution changes like I don't have the driver installed and it starts showing the desktop in multiple colors and random colors all over the screen, more like a rainbow. Is it dead?

Jun 22, 2019
Can you post a screenshot of this issue, random colors, artifacts ? How OLD Is the GPU actually ? But please provide FULL PC specs as well, including the make/model of every PC component (motherboard, PSU etc. )
I can't get some screenshots right now because I am out of town for a few days, I will make some as soon as i get home.
PC specs:
Motherboard: Intel corporation DH55TC
CPU: Intel core i7 CPU 870 2.93 GHz
RAM: 4Gb DDR3
PSU Model:CTG-500-80P
The video card I dont know how old it is, I bought the full setup in 2015 and stopped using that video card like in 2016-2017

Jun 22, 2019
I can't get some screenshots right now because I am out of town for a few days, I will make some as soon as i get home.
PC specs:
Motherboard: Intel corporation DH55TC
CPU: Intel core i7 CPU 870 2.93 GHz
RAM: 4Gb DDR3
The video card I dont know how old it is, I bought the full setup in 2015 and stopped using that video card like in 2016-2017
I found a video that almost looks like my problem, my monitor is not this affected and the colors constantly change, but I hope this helps a bit
View: https://youtu.be/oikFr4-Yhdk

I want to specify that the first 5 minutes of the GPU working just fine games run perfectly normal, with high fps but after that they start having 5-10 fps

Is that a PSU from CHIEFTEC ? If yes, then chieftec power supplies are garbage/junk. I suspect this PSU might have taken away your GPU with itself. That's a poor quality generic PSU. Avoid like a plague. On that model, there might be a sparsely populated PCB, and the capacitors used for example should be from China, poor quality. Therefore this PSU is definitely an entry level product and its not meant to be put into powerful builds.

PSU is the last component you might want to cheap out on, or skimp. Try to get some other high quality PSU, IF possible. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system. Don't SKIMP on the PSU,, since this is the MOST important PC component. I can't stress this enough.

In the Future, and assuming you have any plans for upgrading your PC, then I would recommend you to get the following PSU models and brands. These are high quality units. Look for similar SKUs.

SEASONIC PRIME, and Prime Ultra, or FOCUS Plus GOLD, Focus Plus Platinum.

CORSAIR AXi, RMi, RMx 550/650W, SF, HX 2017, HXi.

FSP - Hydro PTM 550/650W.

Cooler Master - MasterWatt Maker MiJ, V series 550/650W.

Antec - High Current Pro, High Current Platinum, Earthwatts Pro Gold, HCG Gold.

Super Flower - Leadex Gold II.

be Quiet! - Dark Power Pro 11, Straight Power 11, Dark Power Pro P10.

EVGA -Supernova G1+, GQ, P2, T2, G2, B2, BQ =>750.

Btw, this PSU list is NOT exhaustive, nor 100% accurate though, but at least it gives us some idea about the brand reputation, in the hierarchy list..BUT, make a note though. Despite Seasonic, XFX listed under the "arguably best brands" category by me, they have had pretty poor quality units as well. like the XT series, and SeaSonic S12II Series. There are more exceptions though...

Pretty much all PSU manufacturers sell good and bad power supplies.

PSU brands to never buy from

• Diablotek
  • Chieftec
  • Circle
  • Sharkoon
  • Youngbear
  • Powercool
  • Rocketfish
  • Rave
  • Linkworld
  • Shuttle
  • Skyhawk
  • Foxconn
  • Wintech
  • Winpower
  • Apevia
  • Coolmax
  • Logisys
  • Sparkle
  • Raidmax
  • Zalman
  • Diablotek
  • Xilence
  • Tacens
  • iBALL
  • Zebronics.
  • Logisys.

• Average PSU brands (Not deadly but I would avoid them)
  • NZXT
  • Enermax
  • Cougar
  • Bitfenix
Good PSU brands (These psu brands have decent-great PSUs, but also have a few outliers)
  • EVGA
  • Corsair
  • Antec
  • Cooler master
  • Be quiet!
  • Fractal Design
  • SilverStone
  • FSP.
Arguably the best brands, but that's a slight exaggeration..
  • Seasonic
  • XFX
  • Superflower
Conclusion
Most power supplies you buy should be fine as long as you're not pushing them to the very limits. I obviously didn't include every OEM and re-seller but I listed the main ones. Pretty much all PSU manufacturers sell good and bad power supplies, it just takes a little reviewing and forethought into your system requirements before you make a selection....

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019
Is that a PSU from CHIEFTEC ? If yes, then chieftec power supplies are garbage/junk. I suspect this PSU might have taken away your GPU with itself. That's a poor quality generic PSU.

PSU is the last component you might want to cheap out on, or skimp. Try to get some other high quality PSU, IF possible. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system. Don't SKIMP on the PSU,, since this is the MOST important PC component. I can't stress this enough.

In the Future, and assuming you have plans for upgrading your PC, then I would recommend you to get the following PSU models and brands. These are high quality units. Look for similar SKUs.

SEASONIC PRIME, and Prime Ultra, or FOCUS Plus GOLD, Focus Plus Platinum.

CORSAIR AXi, RMi, RMx 550/650W, SF, HX 2017, HXi.

FSP - Hydro PTM 550/650W.

Cooler Master - MasterWatt Maker MiJ, V series 550/650W.

Antec - High Current Pro, High Current Platinum, Earthwatts Pro Gold, HCG Gold.

Super Flower - Leadex Gold II.

be Quiet! - Dark Power Pro 11, Straight Power 11, Dark Power Pro P10.

EVGA -Supernova G1+, GQ, P2, T2, G2, B2, BQ =>750.

Btw, this PSU list is NOT exhaustive, nor 100% accurate though, but at least it gives us some idea about the brand reputation, in the hierarchy list..BUT, make a note though. Despite Seasonic, XFX listed under the "arguably best brands" category by me, they have had pretty poor quality units as well. like the XT series, and SeaSonic S12II Series. There are more exceptions though...

Pretty much all PSU manufacturers sell good and bad power supplies.

PSU brands to never buy from

• Diablotek
  • Chieftec
  • Circle
  • Sharkoon
  • Youngbear
  • Powercool
  • Rocketfish
  • Rave
  • Linkworld
  • Shuttle
  • Skyhawk
  • Foxconn
  • Wintech
  • Winpower
  • Apevia
  • Coolmax
  • Logisys
  • Sparkle
  • Raidmax
  • Zalman
  • Diablotek
  • Xilence
  • Tacens
  • iBALL
  • Zebronics.
  • Logisys.

• Average PSU brands (Not deadly but I would avoid them)
  • NZXT
  • Enermax
  • Cougar
  • Bitfenix
Good PSU brands (These psu brands have decent-great PSUs, but also have a few outliers)
  • EVGA
  • Corsair
  • Antec
  • Cooler master
  • Be quiet!
  • Fractal Design
  • SilverStone
  • FSP.
Arguably the best brands, but that's a slight exaggeration..
  • Seasonic
  • XFX
  • Superflower
Conclusion
Most power supplies you buy should be fine as long as you're not pushing them to the very limits. I obviously didn't include every OEM and re-seller but I listed the main ones. Pretty much all PSU manufacturers sell good and bad power supplies, it just takes a little reviewing and forethought into your system requirements before you make a selection....
I was not the one to buy this PSU, I bought the whole PC from some a few years ago. So the GPU might pe dead because of the psu or it will work fine if i would buy a better psu?After every reboot it works good for a few minutes until this happens again.Thank you for you help and advices.

And there is no way to repair it in a specialized service or something?

I can't comment on this, since I don't have knowledge/experience in this area, but others might be able to put some insight into this. Though, as far as I'm concerned, repairing any broken piece of electronics is not possible., assuming the damage is severe, or otherwise.

I could be wrong though....