GPU Dedicated PhysX and CUDA

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
Ok I plan on using a 680 for general gfx and CUDA. and another, much cheaper card for PhsX and possibly CUDA. Does this hav anything to do with SLI? Also, what are some recommendations for a card dedicated for PhysX?

EDIT:
Can someone please give an accurate comparison of Havok and PhysX?

I like the effects that Physx provides. I play games that use it and I really enjoy it. I have a GTX670 and any game that I play I can pretty much max out every game with the exception of Batman AC DX11 features really kills performance which has nothing to do with the card but the games implementation of dx11 features. A GTX680 will be more then enough to handle Physx on its highest settings in a game like planetside 2 and I would say you would just fine fine with that. If you were to get a dedicated Physx card something like a 650Ti would probably be where to go. But I will just say that in any game that is currently out the current generation of cards man handles physx games.

Yes but as i understand it they mean the exact config as in the graphics card too?

Were the same drivers used? You have not answered my question.

ikaz

Distinguished
For me PhyX not worth the extra money or even come into play when I think about choosing one card over another thats just me. I also don't like the idea of mutli monitor gaming only because I just can't get over the fact monitors have bezel/boarder that would side in the middle of the screen. However this is of my opinion and I'm sure other will tell you that over time you won't even notice them or would suggest X brand of monitors to "solve" this problem. So with all that said I think it best to let him know all his options first then you can explain why you suggest one over the other.

Have you even clicked on the link? There is no ambiguity in their explanation.

"All video card results were obtained on this exact system with exactly the same configuration."

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009

@Ikaz to each their own. If everyone was happy with just "OK" or last generation graphics then everyone would buy a console and be done with it. PC gaming has and will always be if theres a will/money theres a way which is why PC gaming is so awesome.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I guess that reinforces my decision to get a 2nd 670 with my tax refund :bounce:

As for the "why PhysX" issue..umm...if you have a $400 card you're probably wanting the best quality visuals possible, nothing turned off.

I do agree with the multiple monitor problem of dealing with bezels. It's very distracting for some people and ruins the experience. If a piece of dust is on the screen I can see it, and I freak out, so a big black bar is going to drive me insane.

G

:eek:

btw, how many people here have actually USED a card for physX?
:heink:

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I run a dedicated gtx 560ti
177294_4537415910114_1533457455_o.jpg

I have. I tested it when I had two 560Ti's I would run in SLi and then turn around take off the SLi bridge and run the 560Ti in a dedicated physx roll performance was very much unchanged. And two 560ti's is roughly around the same performance level as a 580. I tried this with Batman AC.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

I have the Switch 810 :p But honestly after seeing that storm trooper case I should have taken that and saved some money. They're both in my top 5 fav cases ever though :)

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Actually there is someone at the LAN's that brings one of those except its black.
Wonder what the OP is going to do with so many choices between physx and no physx. If one were spending money on it I would suggest looking on craigslist for a used 260 or 460 for physx since both of those can max out physx.

Picture of our epic LAN.
487529_10151238686691754_748018476_n.jpg

That is a lot of people honestly what I would advise someone to do is get the best card you can get and then if you felt like you needed more physx power for games add onto it with a dedicated card when the time came but honestly at this point a 680 would just swallow up physx and spit it out.

Gotta be careful to create a good match between your Physx card and your primary graphics card. i would not use a 260, but a 460 might be okay. 336 CUDA cores in the GTX 460 would be the minimum I would consider, but a 650 with 384 cores would be better for about the same price (I assume), but less heat and noise. There really hasn't been a good review using the latest generation as dedicated cards, so it's hard to say.

This is using a GTX 580 SLI setup for primary graphics with a GTX 650 Ti for PhysX. They also swapped out the 650 for a 560 Ti and got similar results but about 50 watts more power consumption:
gtx-650ti_roundup_chart128-1.png

http://www.ninjalane.com/reviews/video/gtx-650ti_roundup/page7.aspx