News GPU Demand Has Been Slowly But Steadily Declining in Q1 of 2022

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Wouldn't be shocked if everybody who doesn't already have their 3xxx or 6xxx series cards from Nvidia and AMD would just wait till the forthcoming 4 and 7 series cards. They've waiting this long; no point in dumping tons of money on a card that will be rendered obsolete in a few months.

Reactions: KyaraM

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Wouldn't be shocked if everybody who doesn't already have their 3xxx or 6xxx series cards from Nvidia and AMD would just wait till the forthcoming 4 and 7 series cards. They've waiting this long; no point in dumping tons of money on a card that will be rendered obsolete in a few months.

While there will almost certainly be significantly better performance at each of the points in the product stack, approximately zero GPUs from this generation will be "rendered obsolete."

Quenepas

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2014
I'm in that group. My cadence is skip 3 CPU gens and 1 GPU gen so I was due getting a 30XX and even if I tried waiting lists and lotteries and all that it didnt work. Then for a months now I'm getting emails of all kinds of retailers pretty much begging to buy their 30XX stock throwing in crap I dont need. Sorry folks! Most of you artificially created scracity just to bump up prices but now you'll be eating GPUs for breakfast.

Reactions: blppt

Jimbojan

Honorable
May 17, 2017
Intel is likely to gain more market share in discreet card, while its integrated graphic may lose some more shares, I will predict Intel next quarter will have 62% overall market share and 6-7% discreet as Intel to release its desktop discreet graphic card with more powerful chips in the 2Q22

Last edited:

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
While there will almost certainly be significantly better performance at each of the points in the product stack, approximately zero GPUs from this generation will be "rendered obsolete."
Totally agree, the RTX 3080 has several years at minimum and the RX 6800/6900 XT as well. I have a gaming rig with an RTX 2070 Super and it easily outputs 60-120 fps in 1080P with Max settings.

Totally agree, the RTX 3080 has several years at minimum and the RX 6800/6900 XT as well. I have a gaming rig with an RTX 2070 Super and it easily outputs 60-120 fps in 1080P with Max settings.

Well I have a 3080 Ti that is factory overclocked (see sig) to within 98% of 3090 performance. For most 4K gaming it does fine in the 75-120FPS lane to match my 120Hz capable OLED monitor with G-Sync (Gigabyte Aorus 48" with panel made by LG used in their C1 series OLED TVs).

However, there are a handful of games I play the most with and that are heavy frame hitters. They are in order Microsoft Flight Simulator, Forza Horizon 5, and Far Cry 6. In MSFS specifically I am well below 60FPS in heavy scenery near and on the ground as well as in heavy clouds. All maxed quality settings. And it stutters when panning around in the cockpit view. So if the 4080 winds up being the estimated 15-20% faster than my 3080 Ti to lock in a solid 60FPS/60Hz with said settings, I will part ways with it and upgrade. MSFS is that important to me as a real world general aviation pilot. However, I'll have to wait and see what EVGA's FTW3 power requirements are as well as cooling capabilities as I'm on air and not water. So there will be people in certain circumstances with current 3-series Nvidia GPUs interested in what the 4-series will bring.

Reactions: blppt

SSGBryan

Reputable
Jan 29, 2021

I just got my RTX 3060 last month - I will be skipping the next generation.

Reactions: shady28

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007

Exactly. In fact, the top 5 GPUs according to steam are the 1060, 1650, 1050 Ti, 2060, and 1050. Together they are over 27% of Steam gamers.

I think this article and the JPR report are actually looking at demand optimistically. A lot of negative factors going on for the desktop / gaming PC space now.

Crypto collapse has slowed a major consumer of GPUs, inflation causing people to move away from hard goods in general due to high cost of food and energy, a market that 'upgraded' early for almost 2 years straight basically pulling demand forward, optimistic views on future demand which is likely to result in over capacity as multiple new fabs come online and many more are being constructed, plus the entrance of Intel into the GPU space where they are likely to move their GPUs to Intel 4 on one of multiple new fabs within 2 years.

I don't think this decline in price and oversupply is going to slow down at all nor stop at MSRP, on the contrary I think the prices will collapse in the 2nd half of the year.