GPU died, what to do until Pascal/Polaris?

Chadleybro

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015
So my GPU died on me, and there's still (most likely) at least 3 months between now and next-gen cards. I don't want to blow a lot of cash on a new card now and have to sell it for a hefty loss 3 months from now. The question is, what should I do for a graphics card in the mean time? Thanks.

Solution
"Release" is most likely a paper launch. Then you might see cards in stores a few weeks later. 90 days would take you roughly to the 3rd week of July. If you think you can get proof of purchase by then, perhaps.

If you can limp along until next month or so, it would be less risky.

These would be GTX980 cost level, so a bit above the R9-290/R9-390/GTX970 price range. Until they build up a stock of GPUs that effectively failed during manufacturing, they won't likely release something like the GTX970 on the new process.
If you buy a interim evga card, you can probably qualify for their 90 day free trade up program.
You will get full invoice towards an upgrade.
Read the details. 90 days may be pushing it for pascal.

Alternatively, buy a used card on ebay. When you need to sell, you will not lose as much.

Chadleybro

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

I heard that Pascal is most likely going to release at computex in early June. Is it really too early to use the step-up? If I ordered a card today I could step-up until July 21st, so I would be good correct?

Also, I'm replacing an R9 290

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
"Release" is most likely a paper launch. Then you might see cards in stores a few weeks later. 90 days would take you roughly to the 3rd week of July. If you think you can get proof of purchase by then, perhaps.

If you can limp along until next month or so, it would be less risky.

These would be GTX980 cost level, so a bit above the R9-290/R9-390/GTX970 price range. Until they build up a stock of GPUs that effectively failed during manufacturing, they won't likely release something like the GTX970 on the new process.

Solution
as the 290 a newish card has the op go to the vendor web page and used there rma info to see if the gpu is under warranty?? if it is they may send him a newer gpu for just the cost of him mailing his old gpu back to the vendor. all he has to do is use the gpu serial number to check most times.