GPU driver issue (horizontal lines on login screen, black after login)

Mar 20, 2018
My computer monitor went grey while playing a game, when I went to restart the login screen had horizontal lines across it. After logging in, it is a black screen with faint vertical lines. It looks fine in safe mode. I opened up my case, and the video card was hot so I blew out any dust. I did a system restore, and tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it with little progress. I also tried the last update, but I can only access the internet with the driver disabled and the update files/application will not work in safe mode either. When I tried the last update with the driver disabled the card kept making a whirring and clicking sound. This morning, I tried again and after the horizontal line login screen the desktop screen is now blue with faint vertical lines. I'm not sure hot to resolve this issue, and I'm desperately hoping it is just a driver issue.

Mar 20, 2018
I accidentally downvoted you because my resolution right now with the driver disabled is giving me flashbacks to 1998. I bought the Asus Radeon Hd7850 in 2013, so no warranty. I tried to reseat it but I'm having trouble removing it from the motherboard.