GPU Driver Support

Rayven2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
Hey all,

So I’m slowly making plans on migrating to a Linux/GNU OS, however I can’t seem to find driver support for my GPU (It was expected). Are there any particular distros with generic drivers that give basic functionality? (As I still haven't chosen a distro). I really want to avoid Windows 10, however I plan on installing it just for the gaming factor. I want to use Linux/GNU OS’s for the other 90% of my computer use.

Note: I'm using a Radeon ASUS R7 360.

Also, a general driver/hardware function question, how do you all give yourself basic functionality after moving to a non-Windows/Mac OS?
I always knew it would be somewhat difficult due to major manufactures following Microsoft’s lead for obvious reasons, so I was hoping the community might have a bit of a guide/push in the right direction so to speak with dealing with the changes? I appreciate any feedback from veteran Linux/GNU users.

Solution
There are two drivers for AMD cards. The default opensource driver "radeon" and the proprietary driver from AMD "catalyst".

The opensource driver works very well and requires no additional configuration. The only advantage for the proprietary driver is some additional 3D performance but at the cost of slightly more difficult configuration/install. You can install it easily with the "additional drivers" tool in ubuntu. You do not need to download anything from amd website.

Additionally most drivers work differently than windows. Most drivers you need are already in the kernel. This has benefits that you generally do not need to go hunting for drivers on internet and most thing will just work. This also has the side effect of if you...
There are two drivers for AMD cards. The default opensource driver "radeon" and the proprietary driver from AMD "catalyst".

The opensource driver works very well and requires no additional configuration. The only advantage for the proprietary driver is some additional 3D performance but at the cost of slightly more difficult configuration/install. You can install it easily with the "additional drivers" tool in ubuntu. You do not need to download anything from amd website.

Additionally most drivers work differently than windows. Most drivers you need are already in the kernel. This has benefits that you generally do not need to go hunting for drivers on internet and most thing will just work. This also has the side effect of if you have new hardware but an older kernel (ie an LTS release) the drivers may not be present or not fully support your hardware. In this case simply update kernel to newer version. For very new hardware it is easier to just use latest version of ubuntu instead of LTS release.

Solution

Rayven2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
Thanks guys.

Real good breakdown Skittles, I'm still quite new to anything Linux/GNU so all this information is helpful. Do you mind if I perhaps private message you in the future about open source OS's? I believe you've helped me more than once on the subject.