GPU exceeding boost clock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenvern

Honorable
May 31, 2017
Hey I recently installed a ASUS STRIX OC 1080ti in my system, and I haven't overclocked it yet any further than it already is, and the boost clock is set to 1683mhz in the Asus GPU tweak program, but when playing games the boost clock seems to exceed this and go up to 1962mhz. Is this normal? why is it going higher than it's set and advertised as, and should I be concerned about this?

Solution
We get this question so much, nvidia and amd need to be more clear in how their boost functions work. That is GPU boost 3.0 at work, that gpu will essentially overclock itself if temp and power limits allow. That number they put on paper ins the min boost clock you should expect. My 1060 for example has a boost clock on paper of 1808mhz, but in practice it will boost to 1974mhz with no manual overclock.

It's dynamic boosting. It will go as high as it wants to go. No need to worry.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
We get this question so much, nvidia and amd need to be more clear in how their boost functions work. That is GPU boost 3.0 at work, that gpu will essentially overclock itself if temp and power limits allow. That number they put on paper ins the min boost clock you should expect. My 1060 for example has a boost clock on paper of 1808mhz, but in practice it will boost to 1974mhz with no manual overclock.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.