[SOLVED] GPU exhaust on top?

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
I'm sporting the be quiet Silent Base 801 and as seen in this image, virtually the entire inisde of the case can be inverted to allow access from the other side, which in turn flips the motherboard on its head. but this causes the GPUs to exhaust upwards instead of somewhere into the case as would usually be the case. wouldn't this allow for better GPU airflow? im reluctant to try as its probably a lot of work and worst case it impacts cooling negatively and id have to reverse it. does anyone know if this has any benefits?

Solution
The fans on most GPUs are intake, not exhaust - heat escapes the card/PCB wherever it can... typically in all directions.

With the inverted configuration, I doubt GPU temps would change much at all....

Depending on your case fan configuration & CPU cooler, the CPU might benefit a bit.
If the GPU is exhausting heat above the CPU cooler, and heat rises..... Logically the CPU cooler won't be subject to additional heat from the GPU. However that only works in theory &/or with no fans. In practice, any decent case fans/airflow will move the air in the direction they're set up to do so.

The inverted layout is a cool concept, but I can't see too much benefit in a lot of scenarios.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The fans on most GPUs are intake, not exhaust - heat escapes the card/PCB wherever it can... typically in all directions.

With the inverted configuration, I doubt GPU temps would change much at all....

Depending on your case fan configuration & CPU cooler, the CPU might benefit a bit.
If the GPU is exhausting heat above the CPU cooler, and heat rises..... Logically the CPU cooler won't be subject to additional heat from the GPU. However that only works in theory &/or with no fans. In practice, any decent case fans/airflow will move the air in the direction they're set up to do so.

The inverted layout is a cool concept, but I can't see too much benefit in a lot of scenarios.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Agree with Barty I don't like that setup at all, GPU fans are intakes, they will basically be fighting natural convection by pulling air from the top, blowing downward, only for the heat from the CPU fans to be coming upward at it. Though the CPU does blow out at that back fan, it makes the assumption that somehow that fan will grab ALL the heat. That looks like a recipe for a hot spot in the system.

dimtodim

Reputable
I'm sporting the be quiet Silent Base 801 and as seen in this image, virtually the entire inisde of the case can be inverted to allow access from the other side, which in turn flips the motherboard on its head. but this causes the GPUs to exhaust upwards instead of somewhere into the case as would usually be the case. wouldn't this allow for better GPU airflow? im reluctant to try as its probably a lot of work and worst case it impacts cooling negatively and id have to reverse it. does anyone know if this has any benefits?
this case isnt good...heat from cpu cooler come direct to gpu :) simply wrong :) everything

The only problem I see with the inverted case is that, as pointed out, video card fans are intakes. This could "fight" for cooler air if the top fans are configured as exhaust. Though if the top fans are configured as intake and there's one fan in front of the CPU, then I don't see this being a problem.

Also remember: natural convection is a much weaker process than forced convection.