[SOLVED] GPU Fan Issue

Feb 9, 2020
Hello everyone! First time poster, would like some help dealing with a recent issue I've been having.

My tech knowledge is very basic. Hope this is the right place and format to post in.

Specs:

Intel i7-9700K @ 3.6gHz

Asus Z390F Gaming Motherboard

2x8GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance @RGB PRO 3200M

Zotac Gaming Geforce RTX 2080Ti 11GB

2xSSD Kingston A400 480GB (in RAID or whatever it's called)

Seagate Barracuda 2TB Sata3

NOX Hummer GD850 80plus GOLD

Liquid Cooling kit NOX Hummer H-240AURA RGB

Problem:

For the last month or so, I've been noticing a strange behaviour of one of the GPU fans. Basically, it will randomly start fanning at full speed (100%) for a few seconds, calm down, and then repeat it for a few seconds every 10 seconds or so. This symptom can be quite inconsistent.

If I play a low GPU load game or something easy, it wont happen at all. It only seems to start happening once the GPU is at max load and over 75 degrees (for example playing Anthem in 2k 144hz all maxed out or something like that). After a while, I can start max-fanning for 5-10 seconds every few seconds, meaning almost non stop, which is obviously troubling. I haven't changed my usage of the PC in any way in the last month at all. Furthermore, it is clearly only Fan number 1. The second one sometimes starts going max speed for a few rounds along with the other one, but it's quite rare. 90% of the time, it's Fan number 1 that's just going mental on it's own.

I hope I've explained it not to confusingly but please tell me if any info is missing! Here's a screenshot of that GPU-Z monitoring software that clearly shows the problem: look at Fan 1 Speed for the GPU and you can see all the pikes. This screenshot was taken in one of the worse moments of "overfanning". It was happening every 5 seconds. Pic: View: https://i.imgur.com/pjlDdwE.jpg

Thank you all in advance for your time!

Solution
It's simple actually. Quality over quantity. Wattage does not matter that much when the quality of the PSU is mediocre.
A proper PSU has protections and high quality components to ensure the optimal function.
A poor quality PSU can start fires, damage your hardware, decrease the lifespan of your hardware etc...

For example, a premium quality 450W can easily beat a poor quality 650-750W PSU.
I think its set that way at 80C ( to ramp up the fans above 80C), you can test out that in furmark, if the GPU hits over 80*C it should max out the fan speed.
In msi afterburner you have temperature slider with power limit. Your may be 80*C.
Just check that.
If its not, then there may be some issue with bios itself at configuration.

NOX Hummer GD850 80plus GOLD
I would not trust that PSU with a high end gaming rig. It's not bad but it's not meant to be used with a 2080Ti and a 9700K. I would suggest to buy a better PSU the sooner, the better.

Does your GPU get the power from the same cable (daisy chain) or from separate ones? Separate is always better, as the daisy chain is known to have issues with performance and/or fan problems.

Feb 9, 2020
Hey, thanks a lot to both for the answers!
Thanks to MSI afterburner I was able to confirm that Rememberthe5th is right. The fans shoot up to max when it hits the 80degrees mark and stop as it goes back down to 79 and start again fanning again when it goes back up.
Using the MSI fan control I was able to fix this but it feels like a temporary solution.
As for the power supply, it goes beyond my tech knowledge. I’ll have to look into that cable thing you mention as I have no idea.
One question thought: PSUs have me quite puzzled because I keep reading COMPLETLY contrasting opinions, some people saying that 600W is enough to run Iroman’s home base and others using 1000W to power a potato. How can opinions be that radically different??
Thanks again for the support!

It's simple actually. Quality over quantity. Wattage does not matter that much when the quality of the PSU is mediocre.
A proper PSU has protections and high quality components to ensure the optimal function.
A poor quality PSU can start fires, damage your hardware, decrease the lifespan of your hardware etc...

For example, a premium quality 450W can easily beat a poor quality 650-750W PSU.

Solution
Feb 9, 2020

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. So is my power supply simply not good enough to run the setup I have? Can it affect fans and overheating? I did notice that on TechPower GPU-Z power consumption is at 100-102% on intense games.
Thanks!

Exactly. Its not good enough. The PSU won't overheat the GPU but other problems with fans(not yours) can be related to the PSU.

What you can do is make a more aggressive fan curve, undervolt the GPU(check forums and videos how to) and add more airflow to your case if possible. All these will help with temps.