Question GPU Fan makes rattling noise and stops spinning every few seconds after getting new monitor

Jul 1, 2022
Hello everybody! So yesterday i decided to by new monitor (27" Acer Predator XB273UNX) to use as primary and moved the old one (24" asus vg248qe) to secondary. And after few hours i heard a strange noise coming from my PC. I noticed it is one of the GPU fans. It's spinning, after few seconds it makes a weird ratling noise and stops, then starts spinning again and this keeps repeating(only 1 of the 3 fans does it). I have GeForce ROG STRIX GTX1070, 8GB GDDR5, i plan to upgrade and get a new one soon but i'd still want to to know what causes the issue? Is it possible that the GPU can't handle these 2 monitors (given 1 is QHD 240Hz and 2nd 144hz) and overclocking it a bit might solve the issue or it's more like a HW issue with the inductor? (that would be a weird timing tho since it literally just started few hours after getting the new monitor) I can provide more information if anyone knows what might be the cause :) Thanks in advance guys

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to see if reinstalling your GPU drivers helps with the situation. You're advised to use DDU to uninstall your current(and prior) GPU drivers, then manually reinstall with the latest drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site.

Jul 1, 2022

You might want to see if reinstalling your GPU drivers helps with the situation. You're advised to use DDU to uninstall your current(and prior) GPU drivers, then manually reinstall with the latest drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site.
Thanks for the advice, i'll try to do that as soon as i get home from work and let you know if it helped. Didn't realize it might be something so "trivial" like drivers so i'll try that asap :) And also thanks for the warm welcome!

Jul 1, 2022

Hello again, so i tried to use DDU and did as you adviced but the problem keeps occur. I actually got down to the bottom of it... i disassembled the GPU as much as i could and it is indeed faulty fan (probably an axis from what i can tell)... if the fan gets to over 30% of speed it starts shaking a little and automatilly slows down probably because of some safety mechanism... And since i am an amateur i did not really want to tear it whole down :D But as i said, faulty axis is probably the root of the issue... it is indeed a 6y old GPU so i guess it's not something unusual... funny thing is it started few hours after i got the new monitor... funny coincidence i guess :D Anyway, one more reason to get a new GPU, i'll buy new fans and probably sell it afterwards since it works just fine. So again, thanks for the advice and have a great day mate

Last edited:
Reactions: AI_Gaming