Question GPU Fan making contact with cable

lutN

Prominent
Feb 13, 2022
Hello

My PC has started to make this sound mainly under high load and to me it sounds like something is making contact with one of the fans, sounding coming from the GPU, This has never been like this before and only started a few days ago and I’m a bit concerned if it’s a cable then it might wear it apart after months or weeks and I would like to know roughly what it is and how to stop this noise.

Video below and specs;

Intel Core i3-3240
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650
16GB DDR3

Ralston18

Titan
I could not hear any given sound.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Case looks clean but check for any dust and debris to clean out.

Check that all cables, connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Move and gently secure any hanging/dangling connectors and cables so they are not touching anything esle.

By gently I mean just a temporary relocation - no zip ties for example.

Check all fan blades and housings for signs of damage. Look for missing or loose screws - anywhere.

Key is to narrow down the source of the sound.

lutN

Prominent
Feb 13, 2022
I could not hear any given sound.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Case looks clean but check for any dust and debris to clean out.

Check that all cables, connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Move and gently secure any hanging/dangling connectors and cables so they are not touching anything esle.

By gently I mean just a temporary relocation - no zip ties for example.

Check all fan blades and housings for signs of damage. Look for missing or loose screws - anywhere.

Key is to narrow down the source of the sound.
The sound I’m concerned about is the rattling/high pitched sound

Ralston18

Titan
Unfortunately, my system, speakers, and/or old ears are beyond picking out the sounds.

Try using a cardboard tube or rolled up sheet of paper to find the source.

Place one end on your ear and carefully direct the other end of the tube to the apparent source of the sound.

Move the end of the tube around as necessary to find the actual source.

= = = =

And, of course, someone else may be able to hear the recorded sound and comment accordingly.