[SOLVED] GPU Fan not spinning

Tacatun

Commendable
Aug 8, 2020
MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming X

I have tried editing my fan curve using MSI afterburner, but my fans still don't spin. It reads as though it is using the manual fan curve and says that they are at the correct fan speed percentage but when I check the fan tachometer it reads zero. How do I get the fans to start spinning.

By default, the fans don't spin if the core temp is below 55-60C (depends on the manufacturer). That's going to be the case most of the time that you're not in a game or doing something GPU intensive.

If you run a stress test, you should see the fans spin up.

MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming X

I have tried editing my fan curve using MSI afterburner, but my fans still don't spin. It reads as though it is using the manual fan curve and says that they are at the correct fan speed percentage but when I check the fan tachometer it reads zero. How do I get the fans to start spinning.

Fan curves are usually to determine how much a fan should spin at what temperature, if you are not reaching high temperatures, there is no point of a card fans spinning because it is just wastes power. Try running a stress test like mentioned above or using MSI afterburner to manually turn on the fans

Tacatun

Commendable
Aug 8, 2020
The only time the fans are spinning up is at max load and extremely high temperatures. I purposely changed the fan curve with afterburner so that the fans are spinning at least a bit at all temperatures but there's no change.

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
The only time the fans are spinning up is at max load and extremely high temperatures. I purposely changed the fan curve with afterburner so that the fans are spinning at least a bit at all temperatures but there's no change.
if you are doing everything right on MSi afterburner the fans should spin , even on stock they should spin at 60ºc so in any intensive GPU game that would spin for sure in normal operation!
something is wrong with the GPU probably , if it is in warranty send it to warranty . I had that problem once with an old AMD card . I think was a R7 250x