[SOLVED] GPU fan problem and core clock

Hi everyone.

Jut built a system. Specs below.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
COOLER: Hyper 212 Black Edition
MOBO: B450 Gaming pro carbon ac (BIOS 7B85v1A. Latest is 7B85v1B.
SSD: 860 EVO 256GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 256MB cache.
GPU: Asus 1660 Super Evo 6GB (Latest drivers)
Case: 200R with 2 intake 2 exhaust fan.
PSU: Corsair RM650

The problem is with the GPU. When I set a fan curve in MSI Afterburner where I want the fan to always spin but with any speed lower than 28% the fan in gpuz says 1100rpm (at 25% meaning the fan goes at 4k rpm?) and the speed seems to say 25% but you can see the fan and hear the fan stopping for short moment going to 0rpm back to 1100rpm.

The only way for the fan to not go to 0rpm for a second is when I use 29-30%. If I use 20% the 0rpm happen often. Its like the fan doesn't work at 800-900 rpm. Picture below.

View: https://imgur.com/a/4RiBy4K

The other weird thing is that my GPU isn't rated to run at 1920 on the core clock. I'm not overclocking and this card should be at

OC Mode - 1860 MHz (Boost Clock)
Gaming Mode (Default) - GPU Boost Clock : 1830 MHz , GPU Base Clock : 1530 MHz

View: https://imgur.com/a/0B0MhpY

Is my GPU working as intended? The fan doesn't spin until it's at 55C. That's normal but I cannot run the fan anywhere from 1% to 28%. Why is that? I tried DDU. I tried a fresh OS install. I have Afterburner installed and GPUZ, CPUZ. Nothing else as programs. Is the Core clock at 1920 normal?

The system has been running fine so far. Not 1 crash or BSOD in 3 days so far. DOOM 2016 no problems. Plays fine.

For the moment I have set a fan curve directly to 29% going slowly while the fan keep doing the 0rpm thing until the GPU is hot enough for afterburner to kick in the 29%.

Some help would be appreciated. If I need any and I'm not just panicking.

Solution
The other weird thing is that my GPU isn't rated to run at 1920 on the core clock. I'm not overclocking and this card should be at

The fan speed has been answered correctly, so, for the core speed to answer it properly, it's GPU Boost 3.0 technology from Nvidia. When sufficient power and low temperatures, the GPU will OC itself higher for better performance.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/5g9jo9/gpu_boost_30_how_it_works/
It´s not a bug, it´s a feature. I have the similar problem with my Gigabyte 1660 Gaming OC. Mine doesn´t spin lower then 1040RPM (35%).

The fans of my GTX1660 spin up and down while it reaches about 52°C it spins up to 1838 RPM and back to 0 RPM. This never ends till I manually set the fan speed in the Gigabyte software Aorus to 35%.

The problem is the implementation of the "no fan" feature. Some RTX cards and other brands with similar issues have patched the vBIOS to have a better fan control. But seems to be normal, that it doesn´t work below 1000RPM.

clock of your GPU:
Did you install any ASUS software with your card?
Please post a picture of the GPU-Z start screen (graphics card)

Reactions: Nemesia
It´s not a bug, it´s a feature. I have the similar problem with my Gigabyte 1660 Gaming OC. Mine doesn´t spin lower then 1040RPM (35%).

The fans of my GTX1660 spin up and down while it reaches about 52°C it spins up to 1838 RPM and back to 0 RPM. This never ends till I manually set the fan speed in the Gigabyte software Aorus to 35%.

The problem is the implementation of the "no fan" feature. Some RTX cards and other brands with similar issues have patched the vBIOS to have a better fan control. But seems to be normal, that it doesn´t work below 1000RPM.

clock of your GPU:
Did you install any ASUS software with your card?
Please post a picture of the GPU-Z start screen (graphics card)

Thanks for the answer. That's good to know. I did not install any software from Asus but it seems like the card will OC to that clock speed when you have good low temps on the GPU to start with. The GPU was at 26C and I saw in a few threads that it's normal too. I already gave the system to my friend. He is happy now since he had such a crappy computer. Everything is perfect!

Later! :D

The fan speed has been answered correctly, so, for the core speed to answer it properly, it's GPU Boost 3.0 technology from Nvidia. When sufficient power and low temperatures, the GPU will OC itself higher for better performance.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/5g9jo9/gpu_boost_30_how_it_works/

Reactions: Nemesia
Solution