Question Gpu fan randomly starts spinning at max.

catty

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
Hey guys.

My nvidia 1080 ti started doing this a few days ago. It randomly starts spinning the fan at highest rpm. On my cpuid hw monitor it shows the rpm is highest (seems max speed and really loud!) while the temp and fan speed percentage stays low.

The temp stays fine, it does it when idle and just on windows browsing. It never does it until I start up windows. So when I'm in the bios or the pc is starting up it never happens.

I've tried to reseat it, checked power cables, and tried msi afterburner fan curve but it doesnt affect it. Tried to reinstall driver etc but didn't work. It also did it when I uninstalled them via the device manager so doesn't seem to be drivers? I also reformatted windows.

No overclock on the card. But cpu is overclocked. However I did turn it off as well but didn't fix the issue.

My specs are i7 8700 k,

GIGABYTE Intel 1151 Socket Z370 Chipset Aorus Gaming 7 D4 ATX Motherboard

Corsair HX Series™ HX1000 — 1000 Watt 80 PLUS® PLATINUM Certified Fully Modular PSU

SKILL F4-3600C16D-16GTZR 16 GB (8 GB x 2) Trident Z RGB Series DDR4 3600 MHz Dual Channel Memory Kit

Could really use some help as I don't know what else to do!

Could a bios reflash help maybe??

Aby ideas much appreciated!! Thank you!

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in your build? As for your motherboard, what BIOS version are you on? If you're working with Windows 10, what version(not edition) are you working with? How are you cooling that processor? If you're working with SSD's, might want to check and see if they have any firmware updates pending.

catty

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
How old is the PSU in your build? As for your motherboard, what BIOS version are you on? If you're working with Windows 10, what version(not edition) are you working with? How are you cooling that processor? If you're working with SSD's, might want to check and see if they have any firmware updates pending.

Psu is as old as the rest of the build. About 4 years now. - could it be the cable ? I have a spare one i could switch.

Motherboard is on version f15a - I think I flashed it about a year ago

PSU cooler is a corsair H150i

Windows version is 10.0.19043 Build 19043

I've got two ssd's - 860 evo 500gb and 980 pro 1TB - both have some firmware but I've never updated them ( didnt know you should?)

I should mention - this happened a few days ago and then went away for two days straight.

Then came back and now it seems to do it at random times. sometimes it last for a really long time and sometime it just stops and the fan is back to normal.

Also when im in a game ( and the fan is fine) it seems to work perfectly and the fans increases with temp and then slows back down once im out of it.

Thanks for any suggestions.