Question GPU fans making some loud noise at low speeds ?

gusnd

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013
If my GPU fans are making some loud noise while on low speeds, but on high speeds they are fine, Is it time to replace them?

Ralston18

Titan
More information needed.

Update your post to include full system specs and OS information.

Make and model GPU? Other case fans? Arrangement?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Try to describe or even record the loud noise and post accordingly.

Buzz, hum, rattle, whine....? Do you feel vibrations?

Could be just some resonance due to loosening screws and connections.

What to do:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

No loose cables/wires hanging about.

Check that all screws are snug and secure - do not over tighten.

Key is to identify the true problem.

gusnd

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013
More information needed.

Update your post to include full system specs and OS information.

Make and model GPU? Other case fans? Arrangement?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Try to describe or even record the loud noise and post accordingly.

Buzz, hum, rattle, whine....? Do you feel vibrations?

Could be just some resonance due to loosening screws and connections.

What to do:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

No loose cables/wires hanging about.

Check that all screws are snug and secure - do not over tighten.

Key is to identify the true problem.

Windows 11
Ryzen 5 5600x + Cougar water cooler
16 gb of ram
PSU Corsair 750W 80 Plus Gold Semi Modular TX750M CP-9020131 (bought in 25/november/2021)
GPU Galax RTX 2080 Ti Dual Black 11GB, GDDR6 - 28IULBUCT4ND

In this video https://streamable.com/tfcpi6 the sound seems louder than it is actually.

It already happened once in the past, not sure if they replaced the fans or did just a clean up

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding: "It already happened once in the past, not sure if they replaced the fans or did just a clean up ".

Who is "they"? How long ago?

In any case, I suggest that you take the computer back to them again. If you do things on your own then, best case, that may violate any existing warranties.

Worst case - you break something and likewise will have no warranty.

gusnd

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013
Regarding: "It already happened once in the past, not sure if they replaced the fans or did just a clean up ".

Who is "they"? How long ago?

In any case, I suggest that you take the computer back to them again. If you do things on your own then, best case, that may violate any existing warranties.

Worst case - you break something and likewise will have no warranty.
Forgot to mention, sorry. The Galax support, while under warranty. It was replaced in January '21

Since they take too long to fix and everything seems fine, I was wondering if I could buy the replacement somewhere and do it myself.

Ralston18

Titan
You may be able to do some fix or replacement yourself.

However, the key is to determine the source and cause of the noise.

Nothing may need to be fixed or replaced. Could be resonance or vibration both of which can result from certain combinations of fans and fan RPMs.

For example: At low speeds the fan may be just slightly touching something or able to move just a little bit. But then, at a higher speed the fan may no longer able to move and no longer touch.

All sorts of variables and forces involved.

If you can discover some way or some set of circumstances where you can make the noise start and stop then you will likely identify the culprit(s).

Reactions: gusnd

gusnd

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013
You may be able to do some fix or replacement yourself.

However, the key is to determine the source and cause of the noise.

Nothing may need to be fixed or replaced. Could be resonance or vibration both of which can result from certain combinations of fans and fan RPMs.

For example: At low speeds the fan may be just slightly touching something or able to move just a little bit. But then, at a higher speed the fan may no longer able to move and no longer touch.

All sorts of variables and forces involved.

If you can discover some way or some set of circumstances where you can make the noise start and stop then you will likely identify the culprit(s).
Could you recommend an AIO for GPUs or is not worth it?

Ralston18

Titan
Possibly if it is determined or otherwise proven that an AIO will end the noise without, in turn, causing other problems.

Overall though that simply adds complexity and risk.

Quick overview:

https://www.topflightpc.com/blog/risk-when-using-an-aio-for-cpu-cooling

Again, determining the source cause of the noise is key.

If there are no temperature problems or other specific requirements to install a AIO I would not install an AIO.

However, there may be other Forum members with other suggestions and comments on the matter. I have no problem with that.

Reactions: gusnd

TRENDING THREADS