Question GPU fans not activating even at high temps, buzzing sound if they do

codhip

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
GPU: ASRock Radeon RX 5700XT Challenger D 8GB OC

I've recently completed my new PC build and have been using it for about a week now - mostly for menial tasks like school and work etc. However, recently I've started to play a few games which are relatively GPU intensive. I've noticed that when the GPU fan turns on when playing these demanding games, I get this loud mechanical buzzing/grinding sound when the fans start to spin up. The sound is very obvious and you do not need to put your ear to the tower in order to hear it. It's not high-pitched and it doesn't sound like coil whine - more of a mechanical issue. I've inspected the GPU because I suspected there was a loose wire interfering with one of the fans, but I can't seem to find the culprit.

The buzzing sound occurs like clockwork every single time the GPU fan starts up, and usually (not always) goes away once the fans have reached high enough RPMs, at which point they just sound like completely regular fans. This sound does not occur when the fans shut off and are slowing down to zero RPMs, only when starting up.

In addition, the GPU has been idling at temperatures in excess of 80 degrees celcius and despite the high temps, the fans do not turn on. According to my fan curve, they should be active at temperatures well below that. I'm not sure if it's a bug in Radeon's software but the Radeon control panel tells me that my fans are constantly at >65k rpms even though they are inactive and should read zero

It's probably obvious but I'm a newbie when it comes to diagnosing issues with my PC so I apologize for my ignorance, but i want to learn.

I'd very much appreciate an expert opinion on this
Thanks for your time.