Gpu fans start after boot but stop shortly afterwards

Feb 6, 2019
I built my first pc. And it didn't post to my monitor but all the fans were working and the motherboard lights up. So I took it apart and put it back together (the whole pc) and now when I turn it on, my gpu fans start but stop a few seconds later. The cpu, psu and outake fans all run fine. It's still not posting. Any ideas?

Feb 6, 2019

Asus Prime B350-PLUS AMD DDR4 S-ATA 600 ATX Motherboard

Ryzen 3
EVGA gtx 1060 3gb
(can't remember brand) 8gb ddr 4 RAM
Areocool 609watt psu
1tb hdd
120gb Kingston ssd

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018
Obvious question, but just to be thorough, is there enough thermal paste (or a suitable graphite pad) between the CPU and CPU cooler? Second obvious question, but again, for the sake of being thorough, does the CPU_FAN header have a fan plugged into it? A motherboard will often refuse to post if there's nothing plugged into it.

Feb 6, 2019

Yes I have a cpu fan that's plugged in (and it works as well as all the others). And I have enough thermal paste

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018
Alright, just wanted to check. I had a similar situation with a 980Ti once, with a power fault. However, I've heard bad things about your PSU, which may or may not be delivering the power your graphics card wants.

The (again, obvious) thing would be to make sure the graphics card is securely plugged into everything. But, since I'm thinking you've checked that, I'd try the graphics card in another system, or to borrow a working PSU from someone to confirm if the PSU is to blame.

Edit: With that said, what SR-71 Blackbird said about connection reminded me of another thread I was in a long while back: I think a faulty HDMI wire was responsible for some black screen issues.

Feb 6, 2019

Okay I shall try that. But what would you say if still didn't post? Because it doesn't post when I put the hdmi into the motherboard

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018

That sounds like it's a faulty HDMI cable.

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018

Did you remove the graphics card when you used the motherboard vga or HDMI? I'd do that just to make sure the graphics card isn't causing the issue.

Feb 6, 2019

Yeah a friend recommended I did. And still nothing

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018

Hmm... that's sounding more and more like you'll have to re-rebuild your system. Or a dead monitor (highly unlikely). If it's easier than my next suggestion, I'd suggest borrowing a confirmed working power supply, just to make sure that's not the issue. If it's not easier... here's my next suggestion.

Take everything out of the case, put it on wood or a non-shiny paper product (brown cardboard, newspaper, etc. - touch a grounded object every few minutes to discharge static) then only install the CPU, CPU cooler and fan (cleaning off the old thermal paste and putting new stuff on), the one stick of RAM (try in each slot if it doesn't post), and the PSU. Try and get that to post. This will confirm if it is or isn't something more serious like a faulty CPU, RAM stick or Motherboard (or PSU if you didn't first borrow one and try it before the disassembly).

Feb 6, 2019

What do you think it's most likely to be? (I'm going to take it all out now, just wondering)

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018

I'd say something just needs to be re-seated. Check for any burns on the motherboard or RAM, or bent/broken pins on the CPU just to be thorough. Good luck!

Feb 6, 2019

I've tried it. And still nothing. There a few scratches on the motherboard though. Must of happened when I had trouble removing the plastic bracket things that cover the slots for where the cpu fan goes

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018

Hmm... I'm not sure what the best next step is. You could try a different PSU, test the RAM in another system (the processor, too)... perhaps the RAM you have just isn't suitable for your processor? I've heard that first gen Ryzen had some compatability issues with RAM (especially slower RAM).

But really, at this point, I can see two "easy" options: pay a PC repair shop (a reputable one) to diagnose exactly what went wrong, or:

You may want to RMA/warranty those components and get replacements.

As an aside: Is your PSU a Project 7? Those are actually really good, but their older models seem to be considered trash (and the Project 7 PSUs only seem to come in 650/750/850... basically X50 watt ratings, which is why I don't think your PSU is one of them, since 609 is a weird number; I apologize if I'm wrong).

Edit: Basically, my running theory is that the PSU conked out and fried one or more of your main components. But I could be wrong.

Feb 6, 2019

Yeah, I'll go to a repair shop. And no my psu isn't a project 7. Thank you for the help