Question GPU fans turning on and off repeatedly, no display output, but Windows is detecting the GPU?

Mehda

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
Friend's GPU will not display an output, but when inserted into my system with my working graphics card, Windows detects the GPU as functional or having a problem. All of my components are working as intended. It is an RX 570 from a prebuilt desktop.

Mehda

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
For your friend's computer:

Update your post with full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

My system specifications:
MSI B450-A PRO ATX motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X w/ Wraith Prism cooler
AMD Radeon RX 590 8GB
AMD Radeon R7 260X 1GB
G-Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200 MHz Memory
120 GB Corsair MP300 NVMe SSD
500 GB Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD
Corsair RM 750 Watt Semi-Modular PSU
Windows 10 Home

Friend's system specifications (I cannot find specifics as it is a prebuilt):
?? some OEM B450 motherboard
AMD Ryzen 3 2300X
Powercolor Red Dragon Radeon RX 570 4GB - This card does NOT have the dual BIOS switch on it.
some OEM single stick 8GB DDR4
some OEM 550 Watt PSU
could not figure out his storage drive, but it is a 500GB SSD of some kind.
Entire computer has been used for 2 years. Disk has not been filled above 70%
also Windows 10 Home.

I should also specify that the exact same problem occured when the GPU was inserted into my system, which is a known good system. I was only able to boot into windows because my primary GPU is working. GPU will not output, the fans will power on and off at a constant 5 second interval, and Windows detects it as "having a problem" and sometimes functioning, despite the fact that it is not functioning. Both of our systems work fine without the card installed, and his system worked flawlessly until the card just one day quit.

I have tried:
  • Booting into safe mode.
  • Using Display Driver Uninstaller to remove display drivers. (also in safe mode)
  • Swapping GPU to main PCIe slot as the only GPU in the system.
  • Cleaning power and PCIe ports with compressed air.

He keeps the computer in a well-ventilated area and does not overclock or play extremely demanding games, making heat damage seem unreasonable.

Ralston18

Titan
The RX 570 being your friend's GPU.

And that RX 570 GPU has the same display problem in his system as well as your known working system - correct?

"GPU will not output, the fans will power on and off at a constant 5 second interval, and Windows detects it as "having a problem" and sometimes functioning, despite the fact that it is not functioning. "

My thought is that the RX 570 is overheating.

Check thermal pads/paste.

Mehda

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
Yes, the RX 570 is my friend's GPU. The same problem occurs in my own working system.
The card, even on a fresh boot after sitting overnight, will not display an output. My friend claims that originally the problem could be fixed by a restart, but now it just does not function at all. I do not think the card is overheating because it would work fine with normal temperatures after he would restart his computer once or twice.