GPU for 4K HEVC video editing and 3440 x 1440 monitor

matlittle

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
First time buying a GPU so a bit lost as to what to buy, any advice would be appreciated. Just bought a GoPro and can't view the footage recorded on higher quality setting (4K 60FPS, 1080 240FPS etc recorded in HEVC), so decided I need a graphics card to edit my footage. I assume this is the issue, unless anyone has any other suggestions? I'm looking to shoot in 4K and then probably cut down to 1080 or 1440 in editing, although perhaps keep some footage at 4K. I'm currently running a 3440 x 1440 monitor off my computers inbuilt graphics with no GPU (no gaming currently). Looking to minimise costs for my needs really, without skimping too much.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this week preferably
BUDGET RANGE: $50-$250 ideally (cheaper the better), unsure how much I need to spend for my needs. Happy to buy second hand, older generations etc (compatible with 4K hevc), I assume this would give better value for money.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
4K video editing. Not picked a pogramme for editing yet (advice also appreciated) but something free/cheap as only for recreational video making. Videos are recorded in HEVC (H.265).
Don't currently use for gaming, may at some point buy COD or similar in the future for occasional use but not if it means spending much more on the GPU just for 1 or 2 games.
May at some point in the future connect a 4K TV instead of monitor to view videos at 4K every now and then.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY:
Running the monitor off inbuilty graphics currently.
Just bought an EVGA 750W B2 Bronze powersupply to replace my currently PSU, but haven't fitted it yet so can send back and get a more powerful supply if deemed necessary for the recommended GPU.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
Intel i7-6700K
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard (PCIe)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 RAM

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Any UK including ebay
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: UK

PARTS PREFERENCES:
Unsure

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION:
3440 x 1440. Samsung LC34H890WJUXEN UWQHD 34-Inch Curved Monitor - Dark Silver

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
Let me know if any more info required, and thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
HEVC encoding/decoding is supported in hardware with the new generation cards from AMD and Nvidia. It sounds to me like you'd be better of with a new gen card since 4k looms large in your needs. I think the 1050 Ti, due to its 4gb vram, would be the least you'd want.

One slight problem is your software choice, you haven't made one. Some editing software doesn't really even use a videocard's abilities, some do. I wouldn't buy anything until you know what software you'll be using. Then it's a simple matter of seeing how that software uses hardware acceleration.

The downside of free/cheap video editing software is they tend to be good at one thing and terrible at others. One might have a frustrating interface but lots of capabilities...

jwcrellin

Reputable
GPU prices are not conducive to 1440p ultra-wide or 4k content at the moment. New, you're looking at a gtx 1050ti until more cards come back into stock. On secondhand market, you could look around for a gtx 970 but availability is pretty limited.

HEVC encoding/decoding is supported in hardware with the new generation cards from AMD and Nvidia. It sounds to me like you'd be better of with a new gen card since 4k looms large in your needs. I think the 1050 Ti, due to its 4gb vram, would be the least you'd want.

One slight problem is your software choice, you haven't made one. Some editing software doesn't really even use a videocard's abilities, some do. I wouldn't buy anything until you know what software you'll be using. Then it's a simple matter of seeing how that software uses hardware acceleration.

The downside of free/cheap video editing software is they tend to be good at one thing and terrible at others. One might have a frustrating interface but lots of capabilities, another may be easy to use but not able to do much. My suggestion is that you make a couple of test videos, not at 4k, and use those to try out any free editors or demo versions of paid software. Do the sort of edits you anticipate doing, render some video. You'll start to see what works for you and what you don't like.

Solution