Question GPU for BIOS computer

sticktwig

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
I've been digging around for two weeks trying to find a solution, to no avail, and hope someone here can help me toward a solution. My parents upgraded their computer and gave me their 2015 HP. I'm trying to upgrade the video card to something that would run a few games my 9 year old enjoys, the most demanding being the Ubisoft Discovery Tours (She loves Ancient Greece). After upgrading the power supply, I popped in an old GTX 750ti, which won't boot. Neither will an older GTX 650 I pulled from another computer. All I have learned so far is some models require some aspect only available in UEFI settings.

I was fortunate enough to find a list on PC-Specs (https://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/Pegatron/Pegatron_HP_Memphis-S/3671/Compatible_GPUs) with GPUs they claim are compatible with the Mephis S model mainboard. But our HP has a Memphis2-S and I'm not certain if there is any real difference. So I'm not certain if these all work or only some work, and certainly want to know if the 2-S model will run more modern GPU chipsets.

Does anyone know of any GPU lists of models that work with older BIOS systems? I've had no luck finding one, but have to believe there is such a resource out there given how many threads I've found asking this question, though none so far offer any solutions.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Your parents likely never touched the bios since they owned it.
If you are able to update the bios, I would suggest giving those 2 GTX cards another go.
If you're not able to do it, well... I'm not sure exactly where you'd go from there.

sticktwig

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Your parents likely never touched the bios since they owned it.
If you are able to update the bios, I would suggest giving those 2 GTX cards another go.
If you're not able to do it, well... I'm not sure exactly where you'd go from there.

Sorry, should have included I flashed the BIOS to the latest versions on the HP site before trying the cards. I was hoping there would be a UEFI option, but only BIOS. I'm going to check WimsBIOS next just in case there is something not listed on the HP site. I don't feel much hope, but you never know...

I'm also going to pull the RX570 from my eGPU setup just to see. Can't imagine trying will damage that card. If it works, then I'll make an investment hoping she can use the card for a decade or her brother after.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Older prebuilts tended to be Legacy Bios only, and many newer cards weren't recognizable.
Usually, the most recent cards that would work would be GTX 700 and Radeon R9 series cards, but... that's not working either.

It does work without a gpu installed?

sticktwig

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Older prebuilts tended to be Legacy Bios only, and many newer cards weren't recognizable.
Usually, the most recent cards that would work would be GTX 700 and Radeon R9 series cards, but... that's not working either.

It does work without a gpu installed?

Yes, the Intel HD4400 does output via HDMI. I looked for a setting that might impact the boot with a discreet card installed, but found nothing.