[SOLVED] GPU FPS and power fluctuating

otto21

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
My GPU was working perfectly fine yesterday and i open up a game today and realise i am getting extremely low dips in FPS and then back up again.

I have a gigbyte 980ti windforce and my CPU is i7 4790k, I have had no problems with the computer up until now , before the problem started to happen my TDP would go 125% (OC) but i noticed during my furmark stress testing today that my power is fluctuating heavily and going as low as 20% and i don't know what the cause is. I have a Corsair CP-9020073-UK Professional Platinum Series HX850i ATX/EPS 850W Power Supply Unit, Black

The GPU is overclock recently and i only turn the OC during gameplay, I have only increased min offset voltage to 0.50mv

here is a short video link of the fluctuations.

https://gyazo.com/5cb6c3891382b4724e90188e95fe8c64
https://gyazo.com/d2072030878680dab1054a29d6684d40

My GPU is cold at around 50c the temperature rises to 65c and drops back down immediately.

UPDATE: downclocking the gpu by even 2mhz makes the card stable and tdp is running at 50-60%

Last edited:
Solution
CPU is overclocked to 4.6 with idle temps of 50c and load temps of about 75c
Hmm...I wouldn't blame the temperature but to my experience after overclocking GPU, i ran into this problem years ago and the fault was in overclocking, wasn't correct in some way so reverting back to stock and reinstalling the drivers solved it then overclocking back again worked out. I'm assuming it would be related to your CPU overclocking having troubles...Have you tried reverting to stock? if that changed anything, you can always overclock again as it could fix whatever that's causing this issue.
Sounds like you already solved the issue. You're hitting the limits of your card. Remember, just because your card isn't hitting it's thermal limit doesn't meaning that you aren't hitting it's Mhz limit.

If you've been regularly passing the card's TDP limit you may have damaged it.

otto21

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
Sounds like you already solved the issue. You're hitting the limits of your card. Remember, just because your card isn't hitting it's thermal limit doesn't meaning that you aren't hitting it's Mhz limit.

If you've been regularly passing the card's TDP limit you may have damaged it.

On MSI afterburner, without any software adjustments i can go to a maximum of 139% TDP, i think this is the only 980ti version that has a 2x8pin connectors to get this power. the card has been running at 125% perfectly fine with no hiccups to performance or temperature not exceeding over 75c, I have been playing OC for about 4 days now. I am no expert in OC I was told that i could max out the settings as it was safe to do so on MSI afterburner, the only thing i would need to worry about is the voltage.

Every card is different. MSI Afterburner is USUALLY safe but it seems that you are now having issues.

Have you tried fully uninstalling the drivers, rebooting, and reinstalling the latest? If you do this leave everything at stock to get some baseline numbers - this step is very important. Then start tweaking/OCing a little.

This isn't a 15 min task. To properly get a baseline and tweak may take you a whole day. To find the sweet spot may take the whole following day. Don't just go back in to afterburner and max out the OC again. Start with small steps and test/game for 30+ mins minimum.

otto21

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
Every card is different. MSI Afterburner is USUALLY safe but it seems that you are now having issues.

Have you tried fully uninstalling the drivers, rebooting, and reinstalling the latest? If you do this leave everything at stock to get some baseline numbers - this step is very important. Then start tweaking/OCing a little.

This isn't a 15 min task. To properly get a baseline and tweak may take you a whole day. To find the sweet spot may take the whole following day. Don't just go back in to afterburner and max out the OC again. Start with small steps and test/game for 30+ mins minimum.

Yes I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, I have plugged the gpu into the other PCI port I have also applied new thermal paste.

Have I damaged my GPU? I don't know how a card would behave if it was damaged I was under the impression it would artifact or glitch out? instead my GPu is downclocking as soon as it tries to hit high Mhz and the temps are at 65c the most.

otto21

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
It's possible.
Trying running it at baseline for a bit (no OC or OV) and see how it behaves.

Running on baseline the Mhz drops to 600 permanently after playing for 5 minutes and wont exceed 50% TDP with a temp of 60c. Once the card has cooldown it will reach back to 1300Mhz and then starts jumping up and down till it hits down to 600mhz again. FPS is stable put I lose more than half my FPS

otto21

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
https://gyazo.com/3349f09ab2d62b6e0ca16685050d7cd8
I am running Furmark during the video.

I have overclocked using MSI Afterburner (did not go in depth with the OC) it and was okay up until today.

The GPU is going crazy with its clock speeds and i can't find anything related to this problem anywhere on the internet. it goes down to 600 mhz and back up to 1300 and back to 600mhz again.

Last edited:

otto21

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
It is normal when it's under load.
Also, are you running intensive programs upon doing the video or that 65c GPU temperature on idle?
Forgot to mention that i am running stress test (furmark) during the little video. my clock speeds are going haywire. When i underclock the GP by even 1Mhz the clock speeds are stable but only runs at 600mhz and wont go any higher or lower.

AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
CPU is overclocked to 4.6 with idle temps of 50c and load temps of about 75c
Hmm...I wouldn't blame the temperature but to my experience after overclocking GPU, i ran into this problem years ago and the fault was in overclocking, wasn't correct in some way so reverting back to stock and reinstalling the drivers solved it then overclocking back again worked out. I'm assuming it would be related to your CPU overclocking having troubles...Have you tried reverting to stock? if that changed anything, you can always overclock again as it could fix whatever that's causing this issue.

Solution